• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Juvenile disorderly conduct WI

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Giannamelrot

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Wisconsin

My daughter was at a house party, and the cops broke it up due to neighbors complaints about loud music. When they came in, they found drugs in the house. The police officer told me that my daughter was clean, but would be getting a disorderly conduct citation because she was at the house where illegal activity was occurring, even though she wasn't participating (she is 15)

Of course, she is grounded and many other things, because I have my own punishment system, because she was suppose to be at her friends house. :) But is this typical, to be charged for being present? Or is this something we should go to court and plead not guilty to? Since she herself was not being disorderly?

If we pay the fine, we don't have to go to court, and lose work and school time, etc. So that seems like a much easier solution for the legal part of this mess, but will this show on her record? And given the situation, would be better off fighting it in court?

Thanks!

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Wisconsin

My daughter was at a house party, and the cops broke it up due to neighbors complaints about loud music. When they came in, they found drugs in the house. The police officer told me that my daughter was clean, but would be getting a disorderly conduct citation because she was at the house where illegal activity was occurring, even though she wasn't participating (she is 15)

Of course, she is grounded and many other things, because I have my own punishment system, because she was suppose to be at her friends house. :) But is this typical, to be charged for being present? Or is this something we should go to court and plead not guilty to? Since she herself was not being disorderly?

If we pay the fine, we don't have to go to court, and lose work and school time, etc. So that seems like a much easier solution for the legal part of this mess, but will this show on her record? And given the situation, would be better off fighting it in court?

Thanks!
Its very common. If the drugs were in the open or where she could access them easily, she could have been charged with possession. How do you know she wasn't participating in illegal activity? She was around drugs, she is a proven liar, and quite frankly, why should YOU pay the fine. Make your darling daughter pay it. She did the crime.

Giannamelrot

Well I am just going by what the cop told me. He told me she wasn't doing drugs or drinking, but would get the citation charge because she was in the house. And of course she will be working off the fine. But she doesn't have the money to pay it all upfront.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Well I am just going by what the cop told me. He told me she wasn't doing drugs or drinking, but would get the citation charge because she was in the house. And of course she will be working off the fine. But she doesn't have the money to pay it all upfront.
Well time for her to do nothing but work off the fine. And if you really think this is your daughter's first party with drugs/alcohol, I am going to go with you being a bit naive. This is NOT the first time she has lied to you, not the first time she was around drugs and alcohols with her friends, and most likely she has used. Good to know though that you are grounding her majorly.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">