• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Juvenile Laws

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ONLYUS231

What is the name of your state? NY

I was wondering how long a juvneile court has to bring a minor in for charges. My 14 year old son was given an appearence ticket on 12/15/06 and I have not heard anything on it since. Thank you

AlanShore

What is the name of your state? NY

I was wondering how long a juvneile court has to bring a minor in for charges. My 14 year old son was given an appearence ticket on 12/15/06 and I have not heard anything on it since. Thank you
Did you go to court on the day the appearence ticket stated?

ONLYUS231

juvenile law

No he did not go to court on the day that the ticket was given. I did talk with the court and was told just to wait and i would recieve something in the mail within a month and have not heard anything else since.
What more information do you need me to put in this post. My son recieved an appearence ticket on 12/15/06 and has not heard anything since and I wanted to know how long the court system has to call him in on it. I would think that they would have to do it in a timely manner or do we sit for the reset of our lives waiting for the shoe to drop?

mommyof4

Have you checked to see if a bench warrant has been issued since he missed his court date?

Why would anyone have to call you to tell him when to go to court if he had an appearance ticket? Didn't the ticket state when he was expected in court?

ONLYUS231

No there was not a date on the ticket for him to go to court. The officer that issued it stated that I would recieve a call from the juvenile court as to when he was to appear. When I did not hear anything about it after a month I called the court to check on it. They told me to just wait and I would recieve his court date in the mail in a month. It has now been 4 months since the ticket and still have not heard anything. Yes I have called since and was told again that they would let me know when to appear with my son. He did not miss his court date because he never had one to begin with. That is why I was wondering how long thie court system has to bring him to court

Bretagne

Sounds like his case is just held up either at the prosecutor's office or at the local juvenile corrections office if he is going to qualify for diversion or something. Make sure he is behaving himself and doesn't get charged for anything additional in the meanwhile. Just check in occasionally with the court and the local prosecutor's office. Probably they have a year from the date of the offense to charge him; but they can assert many different reasons to extend that time limitation, so don't count on anything "going away" after some magical date has passed.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">