• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Juvenile possession of marijuana and paraphernalia

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

minorgotcharged

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio (delaware county)
Okay so the story is pretty much me and my friend (we're both 15 with clean records) were being stupid and trying to smoke on a park bench at around 10 at night. We got the bag and the bowl out and we packing the bowl when a cop pulled onto the path on his car. We got freaked out and ran, leaving the bowl, a shoe bag with a used but empty pot bag, and some lighters. My friend took the bag that actually had the weed in it with us as we ran, and dropped it in the woods, which he later went back and found. We also left our bikes, which is the only reason we got caught. My bike was a piece of crap so we could have gone without going to get it from the cops, but my friends bike was an $500 bike and his mom said it could be traced back to them with the serial number anyways.

So the day after we went back to get our bikes, but the cop said it was in the detective area and we would have to wait until monday to them back, and that's all she said. My friends mom called the cop that pretty much caught us (the one who took our bikes) and he said that we are getting charged with possession and paraphernalia. I can understand the paraphernalia but i don't know about the possession. He told her that there was a bag of weed in the bag, making it sound like there was a nug or some type of bud in the bag, which there was not, there might have been a few flakes that they could have tested and charged us for i guess.

Anyways, I just want to know what will happen. My other friend got caught smoking on the bus to school (stupid) and he just had to pay fines and do a diversion program, but he just got charged with possession. If the only reason you do the program is so it doesn't interfere with jobs, i'm probably fine considering I'm taking over my fathers business after college, but will it mess up anything else in the future? My overall questions are: what do we need to do? will we have to actually go to court or can we just pay the fines and make a deal with the judge? What will happen if we don't do the program? will it be on our records and mess up anything with college? Do we need a lawyer? Also, as far as I know no court date was given or anything, so what should we do about that? Should we wait and see if someone calls us and tells us a date? I'm pretty sure the cop wouldn't leave that out in the 3 times he has talked to our parents, and I'm pretty sure our parents wouldn't forget it. So what should we do about that? Should we get a lawyer or at least consult one? My parents want to get the least amount of people involved as possible, so if a lawyer is not necessary we probably won't get one.

Any help is appreciated, thanks

Shadowbunny

Queen of the Not-Rights
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio (delaware county)
Okay so the story is pretty much me and my friend (we're both 15 with clean records) were being stupid and trying to smoke on a park bench at around 10 at night. We got the bag and the bowl out and we packing the bowl when a cop pulled onto the path on his car. We got freaked out and ran, leaving the bowl, a shoe bag with a used but empty pot bag, and some lighters. My friend took the bag that actually had the weed in it with us as we ran, and dropped it in the woods, which he later went back and found. We also left our bikes, which is the only reason we got caught. My bike was a piece of crap so we could have gone without going to get it from the cops, but my friends bike was an $500 bike and his mom said it could be traced back to them with the serial number anyways.

So the day after we went back to get our bikes, but the cop said it was in the detective area and we would have to wait until monday to them back, and that's all she said. My friends mom called the cop that pretty much caught us (the one who took our bikes) and he said that we are getting charged with possession and paraphernalia. I can understand the paraphernalia but i don't know about the possession. He told her that there was a bag of weed in the bag, making it sound like there was a nug or some type of bud in the bag, which there was not, there might have been a few flakes that they could have tested and charged us for i guess.

Anyways, I just want to know what will happen. My other friend got caught smoking on the bus to school (stupid) and he just had to pay fines and do a diversion program, but he just got charged with possession. If the only reason you do the program is so it doesn't interfere with jobs, i'm probably fine considering I'm taking over my fathers business after college, but will it mess up anything else in the future? My overall questions are: what do we need to do? will we have to actually go to court or can we just pay the fines and make a deal with the judge? What will happen if we don't do the program? will it be on our records and mess up anything with college? Do we need a lawyer? Also, as far as I know no court date was given or anything, so what should we do about that? Should we wait and see if someone calls us and tells us a date? I'm pretty sure the cop wouldn't leave that out in the 3 times he has talked to our parents, and I'm pretty sure our parents wouldn't forget it. So what should we do about that? Should we get a lawyer or at least consult one? My parents want to get the least amount of people involved as possible, so if a lawyer is not necessary we probably won't get one.

Any help is appreciated, thanks
Duplicate post: https://forum.freeadvice.com/drug-charges-28/juvenile-possession-marijuana-paraphernalia-599219.html#post3198305

OP, please keep to one thread.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">