• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Juvenile Pot charge on school grounds

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

effy_2012

What is the name of your state? California

My son is 14 years old and was caught with 2 grams of marijuana on school grounds. What will he receive from the court system. Will he receive probation? This is his 1st offense of anykind with the law. Please help me with knowing what he will get.

seniorjudge

effy_2012 said:
What is the name of your state? California

My son is 14 years old and was caught with 2 grams of marijuana on school grounds. What will he receive from the court system. Will he receive probation? This is his 1st offense of anykind with the law. Please help me with knowing what he will get.
What statute number is he charged under?

effy_2012

The exact thing is violation 11357 HS-M. This incident occured in San Bernardino County, California The kid is only 14. What will the judge give him? Will he get probation?

CdwJava

H&S 11357(d) Except as authorized by law, every person 18 years of age or
over who possesses not more than 28.5 grams of marijuana, other than
concentrated cannabis, upon the grounds of, or within, any school
providing instruction in kindergarten or any of grades 1 through 12
during hours the school is open for classes or school-related
programs is guilty of a misdemeanor and shall be punished by a fine
of not more than five hundred dollars ($500), or by imprisonment in
the county jail for a period of not more than 10 days, or both.

As a juvenile he will likely face diversion by the courts for the possession (to include probation, counseling, and community service) and possible expulsion from the school. He MIGHT get away with a long suspension if he is lucky ... it depends on the school policies, but most districts move to expel students in possession fo drugs.

Out of curiosity, what punishment has he received at home?

- Carl

CdwJava

!

effy_2012 said:
if he receives probation as a punishment, how long after the court date will he start the probation term???
Likely the day of sentencing - which is a court date after a true finding is made.

Again I ask, what kind of punishment is he facing at home?

As a precursor, I have to say that any punishment that the courts could give my child would be dwarfed by the punishment *I* would give him! I can only hope that the same holds true in your case.

In the long run the juvenile system will teach him little. if you wish to impact his behavior you had best start today. Otherwise, this could be the beginning of a long and dreary spiral into oblivion for him.

So ... what punishment does he face at home? Anything? If not, I'd be curious to know why not.

- Carl

effy_2012

lets just say that he hasn't seen television for 2 months.....and hasn't even used a phone to talk unless it is to a parent.... he has been talking to other kids in his school that have had the same charge at the same school what they received and they have received just 6 months of drug classes and 20 hours community service, and a fine.....will he most likely receive the same punishment as the other kids?????

CdwJava

effy_2012 said:
lets just say that he hasn't seen television for 2 months.....and hasn't even used a phone to talk unless it is to a parent.... he has been talking to other kids in his school that have had the same charge at the same school what they received and they have received just 6 months of drug classes and 20 hours community service, and a fine.....will he most likely receive the same punishment as the other kids?????
Yes, he will probably face a similar punishment ... provided the other kids also were caught at school as well.

The more involvement the parent has in the discipline or rehabilitation of the child, the more likely the court is going to be to cut the child a break. If the court thinks the child is getting off lightly, they are more likely to come down hard. That's why I asked about the punishment.

If he has simly been restricted from the phone and TV, yet still kicks it with his pals and has a PS2, computer, stereo, and pals that come over to "kick it", then the court may not be as lenient as if he is truly being punished.

Also, keep in mind that you CAN search your child and his room. Make it a habit - and make sure he KNOWS you will do it. If more parents searched their kids and their belongings - and read their binders and notebooks from time to time - many of the problems today would be stopped dead in their tracks. And, it gives the kid a good excuse to walk the straight and narrow with his pals ... "Nah, I can't hold your stuff - my dad is always poking through my room!"

I still remember the time my oldest son told me to get out of HIS room! :eek:

He never made THAT mistake again! :D

Good luck.

- Carl

effy_2012

i have sent him to drug sessions with a local counsler for about a month now......his counsler has also written a letter about their sessions and about his prognosis....will this help any in the court system???

Just Blue

effy_2012 said:

Wow! No T.V. and cell phone! That is how I punish my daughter for being home 15 min past curfew!! How about taking away EVERYTHING he values?? Taking his b-room door off the hinges is a good one too! Drive him to school and pick him up...he sees no friends except at school! Other than school, I wouldn't even let him out to walk the dog! He would also be put in a drug treatment center for at least 30 days...I guarentee he would have a clean UA when next tested...
;)

Silverplum

xylene said:
Every parent has 7,000 to 25,000 dollars (and up) to throw away on a kid.
I'm still just tasting those words in my mind, here**************"to throw away on a kid." To "throw away money" for drug treatment for your child. As in, it is not worth the money to try this method of helping your kid.

Whoa. :eek: The taste is bad.

CdwJava

baystategirl said:
Wow! No T.V. and cell phone! That is how I punish my daughter for being home 15 min past curfew!! How about taking away EVERYTHING he values?? Taking his b-room door off the hinges is a good one too! Drive him to school and pick him up...he sees no friends except at school! Other than school, I wouldn't even let him out to walk the dog! He would also be put in a drug treatment center for at least 30 days...I guarentee he would have a clean UA when next tested...
;)
Amen, sister!

- Carl

CdwJava

effy_2012 said:
i have sent him to drug sessions with a local counsler for about a month now......his counsler has also written a letter about their sessions and about his prognosis....will this help any in the court system???
It might ... it probably cannot hurt.

But rather than looking at ways to keep him OUT of trouble, you shoul dbe looking at ways to drive home the point that this is NOT acceptable and WILL NOT be tolerated ... unless, of course, you condone pot smoking and whatever activity he is involved in.

- Carl

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">