• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Juvenile Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Angelica77

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Texas
Hello! I have a 17 year old son who is finished high school. He is refusing to get a job, or further his education. He drinks, smokes, pops pills, and does drugs. We have caught him several times smoking pot in the middle of the night in our house. My question to you is, what rights do I have as a parent? Can I kick him out of my house? He told us since he is not 18 yet, we can't kick him out of the house and that he is going to keep on doing this, because we have to take care of him. Now I want to know can I kick him out of my house, to teach him the hard facts of life, or do I have to unjustly keep him in my home just because he is one year away from being 18? I am very old fashion , and I don't want anybody in my home smoking, drinking and doing drugs. I would really appreciate some advice!!!

Just Blue

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Texas
Hello! I have a 17 year old son who is finished high school. He is refusing to get a job, or further his education. He drinks, smokes, pops pills, and does drugs. We have caught him several times smoking pot in the middle of the night in our house. My question to you is, what rights do I have as a parent? Can I kick him out of my house? He told us since he is not 18 yet, we can't kick him out of the house and that he is going to keep on doing this, because we have to take care of him. Now I want to know can I kick him out of my house, to teach him the hard facts of life, or do I have to unjustly keep him in my home just because he is one year away from being 18? I am very old fashion , and I don't want anybody in my home smoking, drinking and doing drugs. I would really appreciate some advice!!!
So call the police and report his drug use..

majomom1

I agree, search his stuff for drugs and when you find them call the police.
And while you are doing that, pack all of his stuff up so he only has an empty room. You may not be able to kick him out, but you can take all of his "toys" and comforts away. You could also check into a drug rehab program.

>Charlotte<

Lurker
Use the search function and look for posts containing the word "Eden". As in "Garden of Eden." As in, back to basics. It's a great concept that one of the senior members came up with for teenagers who need a serious come-to-Jesus meeting.

There's a big difference between providing him with the basics necessary for survival and supporting the sedentary lifestyle of a leech.

After you clear out his room, create a calendar big enough to show every single day between now and the day he turns 18 on one page and put it on his wall. Circle his 18th birthday in red and mark off each day with a big "x".

If he doesn't have a job, how is he buying drugs?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Use the search function and look for posts containing the word "Eden". As in "Garden of Eden." As in, back to basics. It's a great concept that one of the senior members came up with for teenagers who need a serious come-to-Jesus meeting.
Actually John Rosemond is where I read about the Garden of Eden approach. He gives parents advice on issues such as this. So if that was a referral to me, I want the full disclosure out there. It was NOT me that came up with it -- it was an idea I had read about that John Rosemond wrote about but that works.

>Charlotte<

Lurker
Actually John Rosemond is where I read about the Garden of Eden approach. He gives parents advice on issues such as this. So if that was a referral to me, I want the full disclosure out there. It was NOT me that came up with it -- it was an idea I had read about that John Rosemond wrote about but that works.
I did think it was your idea. I thought it was your revision of the Brazil Method.

I love John Rosemond! I'll take him over Dr. Spock any day. He's from Gastonia, the next town over, and had a "Dear Abbey for Parents"-type column in the local paper. I knew he'd written at least one book, but I had no idea he had any real national prominence. I'm glad to know he's syndicated now. Every new parent should be sent home from the hospital with a copy of his book.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">