• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Juvenile Record, Security Clearance and Polygraph Results

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Tasha83

What is the name of your state? Virginia

I am currently 23 and have been offered a job and am interviewing for another job, both of which require a security clearance. As a juvenile I shoplifted and the dispute was resolved through the hearing officer program. To my understanding I was never arrested, I only dealt with the store security. I have read that juvenile records like this with no subsequent problems are destroyed. Is this different from a record being sealed or expunged? Will this information be discovered in a background or criminal record check?

Am I required to disclose this information? I have read F-86 and I dont believe any of the criminal record questions apply to me. Are there other forms or broader questions I may be asked?

Last question is a bit off topic. When I am given a polygraph test, if the results indicate deseption on any of the questions but there is no other proof of deception found will I still be able to get a security clearance? (the idea of betting my future on the accuracy of a polygraph kinda scares me)

Thanks for any answers or advice you can give me.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">