• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Juvenile Sex Offender Registration in Michigan. Question?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Kayla88

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan

My fiancee is an adjudicated minor convicted of a Tier III offense (Assault with Intent to Penetrate). The incident occurred when he was 14 and he was adjudicated shortly after turning 15. He had been on a school bus with his girlfriend and they were messing around, in typical teenager fashion. He penetrated her with his finger. The bus driver discovered what was going on and called both their parents. The girl claimed to her parents that it had been forced and her parents filed charges. My fiancee was naturally terrified. He had a crappy court-appointed attorney who encouraged him to plea bargain, even though he had several other students on the bus saying it was consensual and his gf made no protests. Moreover, both of his parents were (and are) alcoholics who didn't even bother to get educated. All he had was his attorney telling him what to do, so he did that assuming his attorney was doing what was best for him. Mind you, this particular attorney has a notorious reputation around here for recommending what will take him the least amount of effort (like in this case with a plea bargain instead of going to trial, like he should have). The judge told him that his sentence was six months in a boys' rehabilitation home, but sent him to a two-year program, which he didn't even discover until he was already there and in a group therapy session. He had one failure to register when he was 18 (he merely forgot to go in and they got him two days after deadline, but I do realize that doesn't matter). He is now 26.

Since then, my fiancee has been on the Sex Offender Registry. When the tier system was implemented in 2011, he was listed as a Tier III. Since he was a minor, he was removed from the public registry and placed on the non-public registry. However, this still comes with the usual restrictions. He can't live within 1,000 feet of a school or day care and has to verify his information every three months. He can not own or live in a home with guns.

My fiancee is a fantastic person and has a TON of people who can witness to character. He is an incredible father to our children. He's a hard worker. He's very slow to anger. However, he's frustrated. With these limitations, it's very hard for him to find work and it is greatly affecting our house hunt because of living restrictions. Naturally, he is quite discouraged at this point.

My question is this: what can be done? Is he eligible for removal or at least lowered restrictions? Can an attorney do anything to help him? I'm tired of seeing him punished like this, especially since it's all over one spineless girl's fear of her parents finding out what she was doing. I realize the vendetta against registry people (I have it myself and have even disowned an uncle because of what he did) and that the "he didn't do it" bit is heard quite a bit, but please withhold judgement. I am looking for facts, not judgment.

Antigone*

My fiancee is an adjudicated minor convicted of a Tier III offense (Assault with Intent to Penetrate). The incident occurred when he was 14 and he was adjudicated shortly after turning 15. He had been on a school bus with his girlfriend and they were messing around, in typical teenager fashion. He penetrated her with his finger. The bus driver discovered what was going on and called both their parents. The girl claimed to her parents that it had been forced and her parents filed charges. My fiancee was naturally terrified. He had a crappy court-appointed attorney who encouraged him to plea bargain, even though he had several other students on the bus saying it was consensual and his gf made no protests. Moreover, both of his parents were (and are) alcoholics who didn't even bother to get educated. All he had was his attorney telling him what to do, so he did that assuming his attorney was doing what was best for him. Mind you, this particular attorney has a notorious reputation around here for recommending what will take him the least amount of effort (like in this case with a plea bargain instead of going to trial, like he should have). The judge told him that his sentence was six months in a boys' rehabilitation home, but sent him to a two-year program, which he didn't even discover until he was already there and in a group therapy session. He had one failure to register when he was 18 (he merely forgot to go in and they got him two days after deadline, but I do realize that doesn't matter). He is now 26.

Since then, my fiancee has been on the Sex Offender Registry. When the tier system was implemented in 2011, he was listed as a Tier III. Since he was a minor, he was removed from the public registry and placed on the non-public registry. However, this still comes with the usual restrictions. He can't live within 1,000 feet of a school or day care and has to verify his information every three months. He can not own or live in a home with guns.

My fiancee is a fantastic person and has a TON of people who can witness to character. He is an incredible father to our children. He's a hard worker. He's very slow to anger. However, he's frustrated. With these limitations, it's very hard for him to find work and it is greatly affecting our house hunt because of living restrictions. Naturally, he is quite discouraged at this point.

My question is this: what can be done? Is he eligible for removal or at least lowered restrictions? Can an attorney do anything to help him? I'm tired of seeing him punished like this, especially since it's all over one spineless girl's fear of her parents finding out what she was doing. I realize the vendetta against registry people (I have it myself and have even disowned an uncle because of what he did) and that the "he didn't do it" bit is heard quite a bit, but please withhold judgement. I am looking for facts, not judgment.
Spineless girl:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Why are you spewing this sex offender's business all over the Internet?

<spit>

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

The time for appeal is long gone. HOWEVER he may be able to argue he should not have been recharacterized when a new system came in and his punishment should remain under the old system. He should expect to pay several thousand dollars to find an attorney who will argue this. And quite frankly, you are making MANY excuses for him. He made choices. He is responsible for HIS actions. Not his parents, his attorney, or anyone else.

Kayla88

Spineless girl:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Why are you spewing this sex offender's business all over the Internet?

<spit>
I asked him first and didn't use names, specific location, etc. Furthermore, they are juvenile records and thus only available to law officials, so it's impossible for random people to look him up. I am simply looking for information and good information can't be provided without adequate details, as any attorney will tell you. I requested that judgement be withheld. Please respect that. If you don't have any advice, there is no need to post.

Antigone*

I asked him first and didn't use names, specific location, etc. Furthermore, they are juvenile records and thus only available to law officials, so it's impossible for random people to look him up. I am simply looking for information and good information can't be provided without adequate details, as any attorney will tell you. I requested that judgement be withheld. Please respect that. If you don't have any advice, there is no need to post.
You picked this man. He violated a girl on a bus.

You made judgmental references against this young girl and expect no one to judge this sex offender? Lady it does not work that way. You laid the foundation.

Tell him to retain an attorney. That is my advice.

Last edited by a moderator:

Silverplum

What makes you think that I, or Antigone, or several others are attorneys?

Kayla88

What makes you think that I, or Antigone, or several others are attorneys?
I never said anyone is an attorney. I posted hoping that someone may have encountered a similar situation or has a knowledge of this particular area of law. I was simply making a point that it's almost impossible to provide advice without details. No attorney will give advice without details for that reason, so I see it as important to provide the necessary details on this medium as well. Sound advice for Situation A may be bad advice for Situation B.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
I always scratch my head at women who will involve themselves (AND children) with a sex offender of any type. I'm sorry, but I wouldn't be willing to just take the guy's word for how it all went down. Not fair, perhaps, but I wouldn't be taking a chance with my kids. Period. End. Stop.

Antigone*

I always scratch my head at women who will involve themselves (AND children) with a sex offender of any type. I'm sorry, but I wouldn't be willing to just take the guy's word for how it all went down. Not fair, perhaps, but I wouldn't be taking a chance with my kids. Period. End. Stop.
But she luuurrrrrvvvvveeeeesssss him.

Real parent's never put the next booty call ahead of their children - EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

davew128

Not for nothing, but the man in question was 14 when he did it. Whether or not you believe how it went down, the part about how old he was at the time (and is lot older now) really shouldn't be in question.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Not for nothing, but the man in question was 14 when he did it. Whether or not you believe how it went down, the part about how old he was at the time (and is lot older now) really shouldn't be in question.
Maybe, maybe not. I suspect she only knows the story HE told her. Color me cynical.

LdiJ

Would you really be worried about someone that you felt you knew well, who made a big (one time) mistake when they were 14 years old? I really have a problem labeling children as preditors/sex offenders for a one time incident.

Particularly at that age. Had he been a couple of years older I probably would feel differently about it. Or, if he had been 17-18 and the girl 14 I probably would feel differently about it. Just because someone made a mistake when they are a child does not make them sexually attracted to children.

Silverplum

Why not call the DA directly and tell him/her the bolded?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">