• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Juvenile Traffic Charges

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

RosieMay

What is the name of your state? Ohio

My son was at a friends house hanging out. His one friend showed up with his mothers car. The friend was not a licensed driver. He gave the keys to my son for him to drive the car (he is a licensed driver and insured under my plan). They proceeded to have an accident and leave the scene. The friend is the one who took the car from his own house. We have two tickets. One for reckless driving and one for leaving the scene of an accident. This happened about 5 days ago.

The friends mother has called me and stated that if she claims the accident under comprehensive that she will have to say my son stole the car. My question is can she now say it is stolen this late in the game? And if so can he be convicted for stealing the car when her son is the one who took it to begin with?

Thanks in Advance for Your Replies.

The Occultist

Your son's friend does not own the car, his mother does. Your son's friend did not have permission to take the car, nor did he have permission to lend it to your son. Therefore, your son did not have permission to take the car. You're asking if it is possible he can be found guilty of stealing it if charged? Sure.

I'd also like to note that when it comes to automobiles, you do not insure people, you insure cars. You cannot get auto insurance on your son. If Bill Clinton borrows my car and is in an accident and he is too stubborn to pay, then MY insurance pays for it since it's MY car, not Bill's insurance. If my insurance feels that Bill is somehow monetarily responsible, it will be up to them to make sure any charges are brought to him.

moburkes

Yep, I also think that its valid. Your son received permission from someone who didn't have permission for 2 reasons: His unlicensed friend (who may be excluded under mom's insurance policy) gave him permission, and was the recipient of stolen property. Sorry.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">