• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Kicking a 17 yr old out

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

brit82

Arizona

What are the laws in Arizona on kicking at seventeen year old out of the house and forcing her to live on her own? There is no way my sister can make it on her own paying all the bills and going to school at the same time. She doesn't do anything to deserve to be kicked out and the only reason her mother is doing it is because she needs to learn how to be responsible. This is both unrealistic and unsafe, is there anything I can do to prevent this from happening?

CourtClerk

I believe the age of majority in Arizona is 18, so the best thing for mom to do is hold on until she has met her legal obligation (that means the day the child turns 18) and kick her out then. Until that point, you can't do anything to stop it, unless you yourself want to take your sister in.

Until that time, if she kicks her out, the child should immediately find the local Social Services office and let them know that she has been abandoned by her parent. They will assist her in putting her in foster care, but again, only until she reaches the age of majority.

BTW... I believe there is much more to this story than (1) you know or (2) you are telling.

brit82

18 is what I thought, but my mom doesn't care...so if I call child protective services on her and am not able to support her it will only cause my sister to go into foster care? The only thing I didn't tell you in the message was that my mom has multiple personalities. One minute she would be yelling at one of us and the next she would be our best friend. Something in her head isn't right and I know longer speak to her because of it. My sister is stuck living with her because my dad isn't her biological father. He has no control over anything my mom does with my sister even though he raised her from day one. I just want to make sure my sister is safe because I live in Indiana and I'm the only one she has to confide in.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">