• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Kid running away from Home,help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

andromeda25

What is the name of your state? Florida
Hello:
My Mom is having a problem right now with mi little sister,she is 15 and have a girlfriend(also 15) who ran away from her house cup of weeks ago,helped unfortuanely by my sister, my mother didn't know until a few days ago when the parents of the girl called and told my mom that they have called the police, to make the story short, the police had come twice to my mom asking her and my sister about this missing girl, wich apparently my sister doesn't know where she is right now(she claim she helped the girl leave the house but doesn't know where she is now). They told my Mom that if they're hiding the location of the girl could go to jail. We are now very scared because we have the feeling that my sisster knows where she is. in any case, what could be the consecuences of this? please advice me to what to do...Thank you so much

Last edited:

985.731 Sheltering unmarried minors; aiding unmarried minor runaways; violations.--

(1)(a) A person who is not an authorized agent of the department or the Department of Children and Family Services may not knowingly shelter an unmarried minor for more than 24 hours without the consent of the minor's parent or guardian or without notifying a law enforcement officer of the minor's name and the fact that the minor is being provided shelter.

(b) A person may not knowingly provide aid to an unmarried minor who has run away from home without first contacting the minor's parent or guardian or notifying a law enforcement officer. The aid prohibited under this paragraph includes assisting the minor in obtaining shelter, such as hotel lodgings.

(2) A person who violates this section commits a misdemeanor of the first degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083

Section 778.082, that applies:

(a) For a misdemeanor of the first degree, by a definite term of imprisonment not exceeding 1 year;
Section 775.083, that applies:

(d) $1,000, [fine] when the conviction is of a misdemeanor of the first degree.
As long as your sister knows where the girl is...and helps the girl stay hidden...She *could* face these punishments. Along with anyone else who helps this girl.

And this is only the begining of the punishments...Additional charges can be presented to those who thought they 'helped' depending on the ages (of the persons providing aid) and situations that the child was in while she was with them.

please advice me to what to do
I am affraid that there is nothing that you can do.

It is all up to your sister. How much trouble does she, or the people who are helping her friend want to get into?

Jail/prison...is one of those "Inns" that will not have a "No Vacancy" sign!.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">