• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Kids in trouble

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kids

What is the name of your state? Ohio
My 14 year old and four other boys bought some eggs and threw them at houses. I picked up my son who was hiding, two of the boys went to one of their homes, one boy was caught in the act by the owner, and another boy was picked up by the police. I went to the home where the two boys were spoke with the mother and the police and the three boys washed everything down until 2:am. No charges were pressed by owners, no damages, and many apologizes were made. The two boys that were caught claimed they were not part of it and did no clean up or apologizing. The police are charging all of the boys and have stated they will get papers to go to court. I have not been able to get a police report. My son admitted to what he did and tried to make it right with all involved. Any advice would be appreciated. Help !!

Last edited:

CdwJava

If I had to guess, YOUR son will not likely face prosecution - or will not face the same punishment as the others who denied involvement. This is due to the obvious parental involvement and concern, and the fact that the child had already been made to make restitution by cleaning up and, I presume, offering an apology. The prosecutor WILL look at that while considering charges for the juveniles.

- Carl

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
To add to what Carl said, the courts are very happy in Ohio when parents step up to the plate. for instance, in my town some kids were arrested for highway surfing (hanging on to the back of a pickup truck which was cruising down the interstate -- NOT legal and not safe). They were picked up and taken in. At the court hearing, the kid whose truck it was was there as was the father. The father testified that his son's truck was taken away from him and he guaranteed that his son would not be participating in such things again with his vehicle. the judge asked him how he could guarantee it -- the father testified that he had sold his son's truck and bought himself a boat and jr was grounded for quite a while. The kid's punishment was lesser than the others because dad stepped up to the plate and did what he could to "punish" his child. Your case is less serious and if your dear darling steps up to the plate with you beside him telling the judge what you as a parent are going to do to remedy your son's bad behavior it will help. Just make sure that you do make your son well aware of the seriousness of this. DO NOT make excuses for him (boys will be boys or what not) and DO NOT allow him to make excuses (everyone else was doing it).

Happy Trails

I agree with CdwJava and Ohiogal, the court most likely will be more lenient on the boys that stepped up to the plate and took responsibility for their actions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">