• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Kind of a complicated situation involving the age of adulthood

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Creativethinker

What is the name of your state? Mississippi

I live in Mississippi, and I get beat by my parents on a daily basis. I have heard from 3 reliable sources(My grandma, my teacher, and a legal website) That the age that you are considered an adult in Louisiana is 17. It is 18 over here in Mississippi.

I am 17, and we live somewhat close to the Louisiana border. I have a friend who lives in Louisiana whos mom says I can live with her, providing I pay 100 dollars a month to help with rent and I buy my own food. I am fine with that, as I have 1,200 dollars in the bank, which is more than enough to support me till I get a job.

My question is, if I run away to Louisiana, can my parents pursue me and legally take me back to Mississippi(Because I would be an adult in Louisiana)?

Thanks so much for any help.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Not only that, they can ask that your friend's parents be charged with contributing the the delinquency of a minor. If you're being abused - call CPS or speak with a teacher/counselor/pastor/etc.

Creativethinker

Hmm... So, even though I would be considered an adult in Louisiana, they could still catch me. Thats messed up, that was my last option. I will definitly NOT talk to a counselor or officer, because I do not want to end up in a foster home. I have a friend who lives in the foster home over here, and I went to visit him(To see what it was like) a few days ago. It was horrible! I dont want to live in a place like that, I would rather be beat. Im a frail kid, and the guys in that home are all angry, and they look like they could and would beat me up every day. At least the beatings from my dad are short, he only hits me a few times, then apologizes. Thats only one man, hitting me like three times. If I went to that home and even looked at someone wrong, I would have 5 guys on me hitting me countless times.

Really, the government should stop focusing on pointless wars and start focusing on improving the lives of people like me.

Not only that, they can ask that your friend's parents be charged with contributing the the delinquency of a minor. If you're being abused - call CPS or speak with a teacher/counselor/pastor/etc.
It would be harboring a minor and illegally taking a minor across state lines. Your friends parents could end up in a lot of trouble for this. How long until you turn 18? Could you go and live with a grandparent? I am going to suggest the same thing, you should speak with someone. If you are almost of legal age you do not want to do anything that will cause problems with anyone else. They may try to put you with a willing relative until you turn 18 its not a def. that you would automatically be put into a foster home. :( Im sorry about your situation as sucky as it is.

N

NYCDAD

you are a mississippi resident and subject to their laws

Hmm... So, even though I would be considered an adult in Louisiana, they could still catch me..
yup. because you are a legal resident of the state of mississsippi, not louisiana. until you are 18, you cant live with anyone else without your parents and/or the courts permission.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">