• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Leave home at age 17 in Pennsylvania

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

emancipation17

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

I am 17 years old and I will be 18 years old in January '13. I live in the state of Pennsylvania. I want to leave home and I am just starting to figure out how to do that. I have read that I need my parents persmission or be emancipated. What exactly is "parental permission" in this case? I have already quit school and I have no criminal record. Please don't ask me to try to make up with my parents or talk me out of this. Any of you would do the same in my position and please believe this to be true. Please help thanks.

Last edited:

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

I am 17 years ols and I will bw 18 in January '13. I want to leave home and i am just starting to fiugre out how to do that. I have read that I need my parents persmission or be emancipated. What exactly is "parental pernission" in this case? I have already quit school, I have no criminal record, and I just want to get away from the abuse. Please help thanks.

I'm not sure what you're reading.

PA does not have a statute allowing for the emancipation of minors; every case is heard on a county by county basis. Some will consider it, some won't.

So. You've quit school? Why? Are you able to fully support yourself financially?

emancipation17

I do have a job, I am not financially independent. I would be living with a friend and her parents. Believe me, I am not doing this to play grown-up and I know the job I have only brings in $200 a week. I would be enrolled back into school in the new school district and then work evenings and weekends. I want to finish HS and move onto college. I had A's and B's in school. I live in Westmoreland County. Thanks

Proserpina

I do have a job, I am not financially independent.
That guarantees you will not be emancipated.

I would be living with a friend and her parents. Believe me, I am not doing this to play grown-up and I know the job I have only brings in $200 a week.

And this again would guarantee you wouldn't qualify for emancipation. What happens if they kick you out? Or they die? You cannot support yourself on $200/week.

I would be enrolled back into school in the new school district and then work evenings and weekends. I want to finish HS and move onto college. I had A's and B's in school. I live in Westmoreland County. Thanks
I'm sorry, but my answer hasn't changed.

You simply do not qualify for emancipation - period.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I am not financially independent

That's all we need to hear. Even if your county is one that will consider emancipating a minor, that one phrase will guarantee that your petition is denied. And if you don't understand why, then you also don't understand what is meant by the emancipation of a minor.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I do have a job, I am not financially independent. I would be living with a friend and her parents. Believe me, I am not doing this to play grown-up and I know the job I have only brings in $200 a week. I would be enrolled back into school in the new school district and then work evenings and weekends. I want to finish HS and move onto college. I had A's and B's in school. I live in Westmoreland County. Thanks
The court in Greensburg is NOT going to emancipate yourself. And the economy in Jeannette, North Huntingdon, Irwin, Greensburg or a dozen other places is not going to be able to support you. Unless your parents agree with you moving in with a friend, it won't happen. Nor is the school district going to allow you enroll from their house unless they have custody of you. Should I continue?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">