• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Leaving home at 16.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lunarofficial

Hello,

I live in Michigan and am having a situation at home where my dad is refusing to let me do extra curricular activities (XC, Track & Field, Robotics) and had potentially been trying to control how I plan out my future. I respect my dad trying to be a parent and have tried talking to him and even had situations where CPS was getting involved but from the way he was raised in a different country he will not work anything out. So I want to finish my 9th and 10th grade years and when I'm 16 move out to my mothers. There I don't have to have my time for homework and extra curricular activities consumed by the chores needed to keep a large house clean. He thinks its in MY 'best interest' to do what he says but I have a different vision of my future. He might give consent at 16 for me to leave but what if he doesn't and I just leave? Are there any conditions? Will anything be held against my mom? Will it give me a criminal record and will I have to go back?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Hello,

I live in Michigan and am having a situation at home where my dad is refusing to let me do extra curricular activities (XC, Track & Field, Robotics) and had potentially been trying to control how I plan out my future. I respect my dad trying to be a parent and have tried talking to him and even had situations where CPS was getting involved but from the way he was raised in a different country he will not work anything out. So I want to finish my 9th and 10th grade years and when I'm 16 move out to my mothers. There I don't have to have my time for homework and extra curricular activities consumed by the chores needed to keep a large house clean. He thinks its in MY 'best interest' to do what he says but I have a different vision of my future. He might give consent at 16 for me to leave but what if he doesn't and I just leave? Are there any conditions? Will anything be held against my mom? Will it give me a criminal record and will I have to go back?
Yes, you will have to go back. You don't get to decide to just up and leave because you don't like chores.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
If Dad has custody then you live where Dad says you live. You may rest assured that the court has no interest in whether you are allowed extra curricular activities or not; nor will the court think you being required to do your share of keeping the house clean is a problem. You're going to have to come up with something a lot worse that you've provided us so far before the court will change custody to Mom.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">