• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

leaving home at 17

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mstodd

What is the name of your state? Missouri

I am sixteen as of right now and I will be turning 17 in less than a month. I have an alcoholic mother and a father that is verbally and sometimes physically abusive. Since my mother got fired from her job about five or six years ago I've been basically taking care of myself. Right now I work two jobs and I pay for 95% of the things I have. My mother and I are currently living with my grandmother who is also an alcoholic and makes it very clear she does'nt want us there. Just recently I left home and I told my mother and she said it was fine but when my father found out she made it seem as if I had just ran away and they filed me as a missing person. About a week after I came home my mother came up missing and my grandmother told me to leave her home, so I did. When we found my mother my grandmother told her that I ran off with a grown man (not true). My parents then came to my job and made me leave and I had to find somewhere else to work. My first question is can they come to my job and get me? Secondly if I leave next month what are my legal rights? Can the person I'm staying with get in any type of trouble (i.e harboring a minor)? Also can they come to my school and get me when school starts?:confused:

magic55

Yes to all three of your questions. If this is your true situation, and your not leaving because you just dont get along with them, go to Child Protective Services. Explain to them the situation, tell them that you have someone to live with, that you work two jobs and attend school. I highly respect your work ethic. Best of luck.

Happy Trails

Why not stay with your dad, since he seems to be concerned about where you are and what you have been up to?

Who is the person you are staying with and what is his/her relationship to you?

Besides harboring a runaway, there are several other charges that could be brought against this person.

Mbarr77

Happy Trails said:
Why not stay with your dad, since he seems to be concerned about where you are and what you have been up to?

Who is the person you are staying with and what is his/her relationship to you?

Besides harboring a runaway, there are several other charges that could be brought against this person.
Not that the poster directly said this, but I am thinking they do not want to stay with dad because they state he is verbally and physicallty abusive!

Happy Trails

Mbarr77 said:
Not that the poster directly said this, but I am thinking they do not want to stay with dad because they state he is verbally and physicallty abusive!
You may be right, but it seems he is the one that is trying to keep tabs on his daughter. She needs to report the abuse, so it can be investigated.

I would also like to know how much money she actually makes and what her annual income was/is.

Bottom line, until she reaches the age of majority or becomes emancipated, she is under her parents control.

The person she is staying with could face charges if the parents reported it (and it appears that they are not afraid to do so, since they filed a missing persons report on her).

Mbarr77

Happy Trails said:
You may be right, but it seems he is the one that is trying to keep tabs on his daughter. She needs to report the abuse, so it can be investigated.

I would also like to know how much money she actually makes and what her annual income was/is.

Bottom line, until she reaches the age of majority or becomes emancipated, she is under her parents control.

The person she is staying with could face charges if the parents reported it (and it appears that they are not afraid to do so, since they filed a missing persons report on her).
I agree with you completely...And chances are by the time she actually gets to file, gets a court date, and gets in front of the judge she is going to be pretty close to turning 18 anyway!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">