• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Leaving Parental Coustidy at 17 in Missouri

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RavenBlackheart

What is the name of your state? Missouri

My close friend lives in Washington, Missouri, and had a legal question to which I have yet to find help on.

She is 17 years of age, and will be turning 18 come Oct. 3, she currently lives under her fathers coustidy and does not feel safe living with him. I was curious, because a member of my family mentioned that at the age of 17 in the state of missouri, a child could legally leave home without parental consent. I was wondering if this was true, or if there were certain issues that apply to this problem. If someone could please contact me back with the information, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you.

Neal1421

RavenBlackheart said:
What is the name of your state? Missouri

My close friend lives in Washington, Missouri, and had a legal question to which I have yet to find help on.

She is 17 years of age, and will be turning 18 come Oct. 3, she currently lives under her fathers coustidy and does not feel safe living with him. I was curious, because a member of my family mentioned that at the age of 17 in the state of missouri, a child could legally leave home without parental consent. I was wondering if this was true, or if there were certain issues that apply to this problem. If someone could please contact me back with the information, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you.
Your friend can chose to move out at the age of 17, but the parents will remain responsible for the child's actions. The fact that your friend leaves at 17 doesn't make her emancipated. She could still be considered a runaway, but the police will not return her to her home.

Can your friend support herself?

BelizeBreeze

Neal1421 said:
Your friend can chose to move out at the age of 17, but the parents will remain responsible for the child's actions. The fact that your friend leaves at 17 doesn't make her emancipated. She could still be considered a runaway, but the police will not return her to her home.

Can your friend support herself?
Not actually correct. If requested by the parents, law enforcement is mandated to return the child...

In missouri, the state police take such responsibility very seriously.

RavenBlackheart

Yes, she can support herself, that and I have agreed to take her into my home to support her. The only main concern I have is the fact that she will be crossing over into Kansas, and I needed to know if she can leave at the age of 17 without parental consent. Her father has had a history of abuse, but she can't prove it, and I am scared for her safety in that home. Is there any way to get her out of there legally? I know she could file for emancipation, but the problem is, her parents will not sign for her to leave... I'm just at my wits end in trying to get her into a home where someone really cares about her...

Thanks for the information thus far, its helping me plan this a little better.

BelizeBreeze

RavenBlackheart said:
Yes, she can support herself, that and I have agreed to take her into my home to support her.
Then you will be civilly and criminally liable and just because she can support herself does not mean she can emancipate.
The only main concern I have is the fact that she will be crossing over into Kansas, and I needed to know if she can leave at the age of 17 without parental consent.
And you were told no. Nothing has changed.
Her father has had a history of abuse, but she can't prove it, and I am scared for her safety in that home.
Of course she can't prove it. Because when someone wants their way they seem to always bring out the 'he's an abuser' gambit.
Is there any way to get her out of there legally?
Yes, at 12:01 a.m. on the day she turns 18 help her pack her bags and take her in.
I know she could file for emancipation, but the problem is, her parents will not sign for her to leave...
And, not to mention that such a hearing would take longer than it would for her to turn 18.
I'm just at my wits end in trying to get her into a home where someone really cares about her...
And you have made this determination how? What psychological and/or medical training have you received?
Thanks for the information thus far, its helping me plan this a little better.
You have nothing to plan. You have already said the parents won't sign to emancipate her. Do you really think they would sign to allow her to leave the state with you?

Fact is, IF you help her to leave and IF you transport her across state lines, you face federal charges and prison. Even if you do not help her to leave and only open your door to her, you can still face harboring a runaway charge.

Your best PLAN is to stay her friend until she turns 18 THEN open your home to her.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">