• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Legal Age

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

seekinghim

What is the name of your state? Texas
I was in a car accident with my parents when I was 15. I turned 18 a couple of weeks ago and applied to get a complimentary annual credit report. Bottom line, my dead-beat step-dad and biological mother didnt pay the bill, so they put it on my credit report in May 2006. I was only 15!!!!!!!:mad: Can I legally be responsible for that now that I'm 18?

CourtClerk

Put in a dispute (to the credit reporting agencies) for everything your parents did on your credit report, and make SURE you state that you were only 15 years old and unable to enter into a legal contract.

You may also need to contact the individual creditors.

Silverplum

Please DON'T DO THIS!! :mad: :eek: :rolleyes:

TROLL.

I live in the state of Texas. I've been trying to get my daughter's father served for child support for 16 years. He and I split when I was 4 months pregnant because he didn't want anymore children and my beliefs would not let me get an abortion (we weren't married....just lived together). He moved to Oklahoma, following his mother, to avoid the issue. The attorney general's office is telling me that I need to find him to get him served or they would close my case. I have paid for all kinds of people finder services but it continues to come up empty. He very unstable so according the the results I keep getting back. He's moved like 20 times in the past 16 years.....literally. He's been re-married and divorced for the 2nd time. When my court date comes up, they ask me if I know where he is and tell me that they still have not served him. I've provided them with his SSN and all addresses that I have so I don't know why I would need to do anything else beyond paying to keep trying to find him. I've talked to his mother who tells me that she don't want to get involved but she sure would like to see her granddaughter. I don't stop her from seeing her. She just never shows up when she says she will. She hasn't seen her grandchild since she was 3 or 4 MONTHS old.....same for him. When I would take her to see her grandmother, he'd go in another room and close the door. I'm at a lost because without getting him served, I can never receive financial support for my child. I've even had to answer the question of "why don't my Daddy love me enough to try to come see me?" That ticked me off highly.

Just don't know where to go from here. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

SeekinghimWhat is the name of your state?
https://forum.freeadvice.com/showthread.php?p=1892576#post1892576

What is the name of your state? Texas
I was in a car accident with my parents when I was 15. I turned 18 a couple of weeks ago and applied to get a complimentary annual credit report. Bottom line, my dead-beat step-dad and biological mother didnt pay the bill, so they put it on my credit report in May 2006. I was only 15!!!!!!!:mad: Can I legally be responsible for that now that I'm 18?

seekinghim

Silverplum, I signed in and allowed my step-daughter to post a question (didnt see anything wrong with it if I said it was ok). so what are you talking about and what is TROLL?

seekinghim

Courtclerk, Thank you for your response. The collection agency were telling us that some laws have changed which would allow them to be able to do this, but told me to just dispute it. Once again, thank you.

CourtClerk

Silverplum, I signed in and allowed my step-daughter to post a question (didnt see anything wrong with it if I said it was ok). so what are you talking about and what is TROLL?
The step daughter that just got finished calling you a dead beat??? Now I'm officially :confused:

And if I read the FIRST post correctly, then this screen name should belong to a WOMAN, mainly, the daughter's MOTHER.

Yep... troll.

Silverplum

The step daughter that just got finished calling you a dead beat??? Now I'm officially :confused:

And if I read the FIRST post correctly, then this screen name should belong to a WOMAN, mainly, the daughter's MOTHER.

Yep... troll.
Naw. The OP is stepmother, a female. "New OP" dissed her "bio" mother and stepfather.

Either way: :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

seekinghim

Allow me to clear this up for EVERYBODY. I allowed my step-daughter to post an issue invovling the car accident and a bill posted on her credit report at age 15, as that I did receive good advise from my last topic and no-one was rude about it. Silverplum chimed in with the old topic titled (please don't do this). That's where the confusion started. The clerk offered good advise and we thanked the clerk for that. I also saw the silverplums reply and wondered what that had to do with anything. First off, I didn't call the step-dad dead-beat. She did. The step-dad kicked her out of their house when she was only 16 and we've been taking care of her every since....and the biological mother alllowed it. Now that she's 18, she decided to pull the credit report because her mother had messed up the grandmother's credit by using her SSN. We were afraid that the mother would do the same to my step-daughter and we were right. In addition to the car accident bill, she's also used her daughter's ssn to get utilities turned on and didn't pay them. I dissed no one and now I'm sorry that I made a posting. I was told that people could be rude on this site and that being rude is some people's way of feeling worth something. So my apologies for anything negative that came of us just simply wondering if we had a legal way out of this mess that her biological mother has gotten her into. Looks like this is not a site for Christians. Is "troll" some type of jargon used on this site, and if so, what does it mean? Surely adults are not calling people out of their "usernames".

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
Looks like this is not a site for Christians.
This is a legal site. Religion doesn't enter into it. Besides, most of the Internet denizens are heathen. Get over yourself and your religion. :rolleyes:

Is "troll" some type of jargon used on this site, and if so, what does it mean?
"Troll" is a word used across the Internet to describe someone who wants to stir up trouble and gain attention, be it on message boards, usenet, listserv, etc. You should probably turn off the computer, unplug it, take it out the door and throw it into the road. You would be happier with an adding machine, a typewriter and an Etch-a-Sketch™. :rolleyes:

gryndor

You should probably turn off the computer, unplug it, take it out the door and throw it into the road. You would be happier with an adding machine, a typewriter and an Etch-a-Sketch™. :rolleyes:
This probably applies to 90% of people on the internet. As the progeny of a computer tech, I heard this ALL THE TIME growing up.

seekinghim

I was right. This is not a site for Christians. I will take MY RELIGION and move on. I will not stoop to the levels of trying to degrade people and calling people out of their names for asking serious questions. And I guess the fact that I have morales don't matter. I wish all of you people the best of luck in life and may God bless and keep you is my prayer for I will pray for all of yall as MY RELIGION requires me to do. Don't worry. I will never post, sign in nor read any boards on this site ever again. MANY BLESSING TO YOU!

Bet this will be another source of conversation for yall.

ErinGoBragh

I was right. This is not a site for Christians. I will take MY RELIGION and move on. I will not stoop to the levels of trying to degrade people and calling people out of their names for asking serious questions. And I guess the fact that I have morales don't matter. I wish all of you people the best of luck in life and may God bless and keep you is my prayer for I will pray for all of yall as MY RELIGION requires me to do. Don't worry. I will never post, sign in nor read any boards on this site ever again. MANY BLESSING TO YOU!

Bet this will be another source of conversation for yall.
Please do move on. We are not here to preach, we are here to give legal truths.

My atheism despises your previous assumptions we are all Christians.

And not speaking for everyone, but I think we can live without your "required" prayers and blessings too. We don't need them just because you were given legal advice then got all pissy about being called a troll after breaking the rules.

BTW, is a morales a type of taco or something? I have many MORALS, but have never had a MORALES.

K thnx bye!

Last edited:

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
BTW, is a morales a type of taco or something? I have many MORALS, but have never had a MORALES.
I always thought MORALES was a town in Texas. :p

Oh, for the OP: Jesus doesn't like Pharisees. That's what you are, you know, running around, showing off how religious you are. :rolleyes: Just remember that for the next time you decide to bring religion into anything but your private home/church.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">