• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

legal age for dating minor in florida

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ohgeez4

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

ok so i was wondering if someone could help me out buy telling me what the law is about dating a minor in florida. im 16 and my boyfriends 21 but he was 20 when we started dating. im gonna be turning 17 in 3 months if that makes a difference. but anyway i was wondering if he could get in trouble with the law...

PLEASE HELP!

Tallrat

as long as your 16 or over and he's under 24 your fine. If he's over 24 it is a felony of the second degree.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
as long as your 16 or over and he's under 24 your fine. If he's over 24 it is a felony of the second degree.
You have to be really careful. Just because one portion of the law allows it doesn't mean there aren't OTHER portions which can be used to bring this child mole...err...person to justice.

Tallrat

You have to be really careful. Just because one portion of the law allows it doesn't mean there aren't OTHER portions which can be used to bring this child mole...err...person to justice.
What would that be? I'm not being rude but would like to know. I'm sure the op would like it also.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
There is a difference between dating and having sexual contact.

A 16 year old may date anyone her parents give her permission to date. They may hang out at the mall, go to a movie, go to a school event, have a picnic, etc. Holding hands is nice. A chaste kiss on the cheek is even nicer

But when you start talking about sexual contact (not limited to intercourse), that's a whole different story.

The OP is in Florida. The age of consent in Florida is 18, and Florida has publically stated their intention of being the toughest state in the union where it comes to sexual offenses with minors. So as long as the OP is under 18, anything she and her 21 year old boyfriend do that they couldn't do in the front pew of the church on Christmas morning with her parents in the pew behind them, has the potential to send 21 year old boyfriend to jail.

The Occultist

What would that be? I'm not being rude but would like to know. I'm sure the op would like it also.
If the boyfriend is causing the young lady to do anything illegal (drinking, doing drugs, missing curfew, etc), then the boyfriend can be charged with Contributing to the Delinquency of a Minor.

If mommy says that her daughter is not allowed to see this boy, then that is the law, and the boyfriend can get in trouble if they continue seeing each other.

Hot Topic

Why is a 20/21 year old interested in a 16/17 year old? It's the timeframe when the male of the species should be interested an 18, 19, 20, 21 year old young woman, not a child.

Farfalla

Why is a 20/21 year old interested in a 16/17 year old? It's the timeframe when the male of the species should be interested an 18, 19, 20, 21 year old young woman, not a child.
Because 16/17 year old girls are impressed by 20/21 year old guys. Mostly likely this 20/21 year old is immature for his age so he goes after younger girls who are on his same level emotionally.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">