• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Legal age for minors to date adult?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Isis1

Correction, Bella.

The age of consent and the age of majority are two different things. If the minor's parents do not want her to date an adult at 17, they still have all the same rights and options as they have at 16. Their child is still a minor, even if she is over the age of consent.

The age of consent means that the STATE will not pursuse statutory rape charges. It does not mean that the PARENTS have to allow their minor child to date someone they do not want her to date.

Until the minor is 18, the parents are God. Regardless of what the state will and will not prosecute.
um, i'm going to re-read what i posted, because for the love of pete, i thought that was what i said. :eek:

lil_curious

Haha, how old is he, ahh I've been given so much trouble with that already i'm not sure if I'm at liberty to freely speak of his age any more. He is, a lot older than most would think, but my dad was okay with it for about a month. lol this whole situation is just so confusing. I have ot admit, if I was in my parents shows dealign with this same situation, I too would be concerned fo rmy child, but I'd educate myself before makign any decisions which is exactly opposite of what they did. lol, but I'd go into this with caution but show complete support fo rmy child. but, yes he is older....lol but most definately not old enough to be my father.lol

Just Blue

Haha, how old is he, ahh I've been given so much trouble with that already i'm not sure if I'm at liberty to freely speak of his age any more. He is, a lot older than most would think, but my dad was okay with it for about a month. lol this whole situation is just so confusing. I have ot admit, if I was in my parents shows dealign with this same situation, I too would be concerned fo rmy child, but I'd educate myself before makign any decisions which is exactly opposite of what they did. lol, but I'd go into this with caution but show complete support fo rmy child. but, yes he is older....lol but most definately not old enough to be my father.lol
Yeah...I thought so...:rolleyes:

lil_curious

haha yeah, i knew you'd say somehting along those lines. I'm not going to say I'm completely mature, which mainly is why I brought my parents into this, because I knew it was right and I was lookign for support. I'm not sure if any of you know exactly how this feels to be in a situation that is new to you while no one is willign to support you in any way, and all are against you in your situation, of course with best intentions in mind, yet being threatened that ANY bad move, and i'll be sent away for 9 months... I think really what I'm looking for is someone to be open minded and willing to look at the whole situation before makign decisions. Not liek I expected that here, but maybe to give you more of an understanding as to WHY I'm sayign what I'm saying lol, idk how else to explains things to people.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
okay, i'll try again. regardless the age of consent, if mom and dad say no, then it's still no. they can still get a restraining order if they don't want a grown man around their child. as long as the child is 17 and under.

This is what I was referring to, but I see now what you mean. I initially read it as saying that once the child turned 17, the parents no longer could prevent the child from seeing someone they did not want her to see.

lil_curious

Oh, no he is actually a volunteer at a church, he also is a leader and YOUNG "preacher" in male prison ministries. He has NO kids, and has NEVEr been married. His criminal record is completely clean. He is going to school to be a special Ed teacher and has a degree in theology form Seminary school

Isis1

haha yeah, i knew you'd say somehting along those lines. I'm not going to say I'm completely mature, which mainly is why I brought my parents into this, because I knew it was right and I was lookign for support. I'm not sure if any of you know exactly how this feels to be in a situation that is new to you while no one is willign to support you in any way, and all are against you in your situation, of course with best intentions in mind, yet being threatened that ANY bad move, and i'll be sent away for 9 months... I think really what I'm looking for is someone to be open minded and willing to look at the whole situation before makign decisions. Not liek I expected that here, but maybe to give you more of an understanding as to WHY I'm sayign what I'm saying lol, idk how else to explains things to people.
i gave you the legal veiwpoint. as did others. if i gave you my opinion, i'd get banned for a week.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

lil_curious

Well, thanks, I mean, That's all I asked for was the legal issues that I'd face if I did go against my parents. Right now I really haven't gone against them, mainly for fear of him being is serious trouble wiht the law over somehtign that's not worth it. But, idk.. thanks:)

Isis1

Well, thanks, I mean, That's all I asked for was the legal issues that I'd face if I did go against my parents. Right now I really haven't gone against them, mainly for fear of him being is serious trouble wiht the law over somehtign that's not worth it. But, idk.. thanks:)
you're welcome. :D stay out of trouble! and don't get anyone else into trouble!!;)

Just Blue

Oh, no he is actually a volunteer at a church, he also is a leader and YOUNG "preacher" in male prison ministries. He has NO kids, and has NEVEr been married. His criminal record is completely clean. He is going to school to be a special Ed teacher and has a degree in theology form Seminary school
And how do you know this is true? Just cause he said it??

FYI: I got the "man" pegged at over 24...;)

lil_curious

haha yes over 24... and I think that because no one is willign to show me or work with me and explain to me and pros and cons. They all assume he is a sexual predator when he has proved ot even my dad that his record is clean. No one is willing to help me understand anyhtign or tell em anyhting.

lil_curious

Rushia, haha yeah it kinda does. I'm super careful becaus ei do keep in mind that i'm young and my heart can change, but him and I both agree that in the midst of his relationships and my crushes, we haven't felt liek this about anyone bfore. So we decided we'd go into this with caution. Our relationship is strange cuz we arne't all lovey dovey. It's like... lets pray together, and do bible studies, cuz we both are Chrisitians. I mean, it's the simple things we love. So we are having a hard itme convincing everyone else that's hwo that is. lol I'm sure u coudl understan dthat....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">