• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Legal age to move out in Indiana.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Chaychay

Hello, 17 year old here from Indiana. I need advice on what I can do to legally move out. My situation consists of living with another family member who does not have custody of me and I am not allowed to move back into my parents home (Their choice).

Would I be able to just move into a friends house and if the police are called would I be able to explain to them that they will not let me move back in without getting me or my friend into trouble? (Someone told me that it was illegal for them to kick me out without giving anybody else custody. Is this true?)

Thanks.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Until you are 18, you live where your parents say you live. If they want you to live with a family member, then you live with a family member. They are NOT required to surrender custody - only to ensure that you have a roof over your head, weather appropriate clothing, and food.

Your friend and his or her family COULD get into legal trouble if you moved there without permission.

Chaychay

What process would I have to go through to legally move out?

I am in a very bad situation that I do not want to discuss here.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
You would need to either turn 18, have parental permission, or be removed by the state.

Huntesddus

Hello, 17 year old here from Indiana. I need advice on what I can do to legally move out. My situation consists of living with another family member who does not have custody of me and I am not allowed to move back into my parents home (Their choice).

Would I be able to just move into a friends house and if the police are called would I be able to explain to them that they will not let me move back in without getting me or my friend into trouble? (Someone told me that it was illegal for them to kick me out without giving anybody else custody. Is this true?)

Thanks.
You need to wait another year only, be patient

justalayman

If you are in a "very bad situation" such as you health or safety are in jeopardy you need to contact child protective services and report the situation. They will step in and review the situation. Your parents can be required to either take you back in or provide some other remedy. If they refuse, cps can take guardianship of you and do what is necessary to protect you.

Indiana Filer

If you are in a "very bad situation" such as you health or safety are in jeopardy you need to contact child protective services and report the situation. They will step in and review the situation. Your parents can be required to either take you back in or provide some other remedy. If they refuse, cps can take guardianship of you and do what is necessary to protect you.
If the situation is "very bad," call 1-800-800-5556. That's the DCS hotline to report neglect and/or abuse. Very, very, very few teenagers get emancipated in IN to live where they want. I've seen it twice in all my years of working with youth.

If your parents want you living where you are living, that's where you live.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">