• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Legal Age and My Legal Actions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Squeegie

What is the name of your state? King County, Washington

I currently would like to know what the legal age is to move out in Washignton State? I want to move out of my house because my mom is overbearing and crazy. She has a lot of differnet personalities usually all hating me. My dad is a drug abuser and smokes weed hourly. If he is out of weed or just plain mad he takes it out on my physically and mentally. I calls me worthless and lots of other bad things as well as cornering me. I want out of this house and I am totally miserable here. What is the legal age I have to be to move out of my house and in with a friends house? Would I have to emancipate first them move in with them? Would I be considered a run-away if I left any ways. I am currently 17 years old and turn 18 at the end of the year. I can not wait that long to move out. If I did move out would the people I move in with be charged with anything, like housing a run away or kidnapping?

My second question is about things in my room. I recently purchased a mini fridge, a TV, a computer printer and a computer (I bought parts and built it myself). My parents had nothing to do with any of the purchases and they didnt help me with them. I didnt earn the money from them so they have nothing to do with the things i bought. Are they allowed to just take my TV or Computer out of my room as a punishment even though they didnt buy it? If not how can I make them stop doing this? How could i scare them to stop or actually take them to court if they arent allowed to do this? I need help please help me!!

Squeegie

Also, If I did move out now could I make the people I move in with my legal guardians so it wouldnt be running away? If so how could i make them my legal guardians?

seniorjudge

Squeegie said:
What is the name of your state? King County, Washington

I currently would like to know what the legal age is to move out in Washignton State? I want to move out of my house because my mom is overbearing and crazy. She has a lot of differnet personalities usually all hating me. My dad is a drug abuser and smokes weed hourly. If he is out of weed or just plain mad he takes it out on my physically and mentally. I calls me worthless and lots of other bad things as well as cornering me. I want out of this house and I am totally miserable here. What is the legal age I have to be to move out of my house and in with a friends house? Would I have to emancipate first them move in with them? Would I be considered a run-away if I left any ways. I am currently 17 years old and turn 18 at the end of the year. I can not wait that long to move out. If I did move out would the people I move in with be charged with anything, like housing a run away or kidnapping?

My second question is about things in my room. I recently purchased a mini fridge, a TV, a computer printer and a computer (I bought parts and built it myself). My parents had nothing to do with any of the purchases and they didnt help me with them. I didnt earn the money from them so they have nothing to do with the things i bought. Are they allowed to just take my TV or Computer out of my room as a punishment even though they didnt buy it? If not how can I make them stop doing this? How could i scare them to stop or actually take them to court if they arent allowed to do this? I need help please help me!!

http://www.bostoncoop.net/lcd/emancipation/emancipation_chart.html

Standard answer on emancipation: get a full time job and support yourself 100%; that will help you prove emancipation.

Squeegie

If i did emancipate could I say that I am moving in with someone else who is willing to support me and still emancipate or could i just make them my legal gaurdians until im 18 and have my own rights?

Neal1421

Squeegie said:
If i did emancipate could I say that I am moving in with someone else who is willing to support me and still emancipate or could i just make them my legal gaurdians until im 18 and have my own rights?
Becoming emancipated means you are able to support yourself.

Are these your relatives?

Squeegie

I know what becoming emancipated means, Im saying If i emancipate could i move in with them? Would it be easier to just make them my legal guardians and if so how would i do that? If i have to emancipate to move out could I emancipate and say that they are willing to support me until further notice and no they are not releatives. Close as relatives are though. More of a family then my family

Neal1421

Squeegie said:
I know what becoming emancipated means, Im saying If i emancipate could i move in with them? Would it be easier to just make them my legal guardians and if so how would i do that? If i have to emancipate to move out could I emancipate and say that they are willing to support me until further notice and no they are not releatives. Close as relatives are though. More of a family then my family
You can't "make" them your legal guardians, your parents would have to do that. If things are that bad, call CPS. If you leave, your parents can report you as a runaway.

Apparently you don't know what becoming emancipated means.

The minor must prove the following facts by clear and convincing evidence:

That he/she is at least 16 years old.
That he/she is a resident of the State of Washington.
That he/she has the ability to manage his/her own financial affairs.
That he/she has the ability to manage his/her own personal, social, educational, and non-financial affairs.

Squeegie

i do to know what emancipating means. I researched it but right now nobody will even higher me to work even part time. Im trying and applying for new jobs daily and nobody will hire me. I meet all requirements but for supporting myself. But saying all that If i were to be able to prove i could support myself and have enough money for myself and fully emancipate could I move in with them? After I emancipate i think i understand that i have rights as a citizen and CAN move out. So basically your saying, get a job and emancipate. Other wise im stuck here until im 18?

Neal1421

Squeegie said:
i do to know what emancipating means. I researched it but right now nobody will even higher me to work even part time. Im trying and applying for new jobs daily and nobody will hire me. I meet all requirements but for supporting myself. But saying all that If i were to be able to prove i could support myself and have enough money for myself and fully emancipate could I move in with them? After I emancipate i think i understand that i have rights as a citizen and CAN move out. So basically your saying, get a job and emancipate. Other wise im stuck here until im 18?
Or you can call CPS. It is up to you. Even if you began the process, it is not likely that you will get to court before you turn 18.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Yes, your friend's parents could get into trouble for taking you in against your parents' wishes. Yes, you could be taken in as a runaway. Yes, you can file for emancipation, but you're going to need a job that provides you with enough income to cover all of your expenses including medical care, car insurance (if you have a car), food, entertainment, housing (even if you ultimately move in with your friend), clothes, utilities, etc. And as stated earlier, it's unlikely to get to court by the time you turn 18.

And yes, your parents can remove your stuff from your room as punishment.

Silverplum

Squeegie said:
Hon, that's the main tenet of emancipation. Emancipation means, in short, to be fully able to be responsible for yourself.

AHA

Squeegie said:

You would have to be able to prove that you are financially supporting yourself and having your own place where you are paying all the bills. If you had a job and income, you could afford and be expected by the judge to have your own place. If you have to live with others in order to afford the bills, then you are not self supporting and therefore not eligble to be emancipated.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">