• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is it legal to date an adult if you are a minor?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sdj08968

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia

Hi, I am a 16 year old soon turning 17. My boyfriend is 24. I got into college early, which is where I met my boyfriend. My parents personally know him, and they are fine with me dating him, but I was wondering if there will be issues with the law if I do continue dating him. We have had no sexual contact and plan on not having sexual contact in the future. Most of our dates are under my parents' consent, and we do not meet in private spaces until my parents are informed of so. Do you think there will be issues regarding this? I am not exactly sure how the law works especially regarding adult and minor dating.

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
It depends on your definition of the word, date. As long as that definition does not involve any sexual contact AND your parents are okay with it, the law doesn't give a hoot who you hang out with at the mall, go to the movies or the school dance with, etc. The minute sexual contact becomes a factor OR your parents say no, then it's no and that's when the law might consider stepping in.

BTW, YOU would not be in trouble with the law under any circumstances. It's the 24 year old who finds congenial companionship in a 16 year old who would need to watch his step.

sdj08968

Do you have any advice on how or what my boyfriend should do to not get in trouble? I mean we aren't in any trouble now anyways, but I am terrified that it will affect his future if anything happens.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
The age of consent in Georgia is 16, so I don't see the two of you getting in to any legal trouble.

With that said:

You are a younger person in college. The last thing YOU need complicating your life is a boyfriend and all of the drama that is associated with that. Focus on your schooling. Really.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Generally speaking, a 24 yo who feels a "connection" with someone 7-8 years younger is someone with some maturity and/or control issues. If you were my daughter & her friend, I'd tell both of you to find companions your own ages.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
While the age of consent is 16 which eliminates any statutory rape issues, or whatever Georgia calls it, I can still see potential issues down the line.

OP, a 24 year old who is interested in a 16 year old is either extremely immature for his age or has plans for you that do not involve platonic relationships. As stealth says, this is the sign of a man with control issues and who can't find someone his own age who is willing to put up with them. Only someone much younger who doesn't know any better will do so. If your parents have the brains God gave the average billy goat, they will put their collective feet down HARD. Have they actually met him in person?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Generally speaking, a 24 yo who feels a "connection" with someone 7-8 years younger is someone with some maturity and/or control issues. If you were my daughter & her friend, I'd tell both of you to find companions your own ages.
While the age of consent is 16 which eliminates any statutory rape issues, or whatever Georgia calls it, I can still see potential issues down the line.

OP, a 24 year old who is interested in a 16 year old is either extremely immature for his age or has plans for you that do not involve platonic relationships. As stealth says, this is the sign of a man with control issues and who can't find someone his own age who is willing to put up with them. Only someone much younger who doesn't know any better will do so. If your parents have the brains God gave the average billy goat, they will put their collective feet down HARD. Have they actually met him in person?
Excellent points that I absolutely agree with.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">