• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Legal to force 17 year old to take Psycologist meds??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Avallon71

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan is where my son lives.
Is it legal for a parent to force their 17 year old to take Psycologist Medicine if he refuses them because of the way they make him feel??

PQN

nope

It depends. In Illinois, my daughter had the right to refuse her psych meds starting at 12 years old. Course I had the right to ground her until she took her meds :D

Just Blue

It depends. In Illinois, my daughter had the right to refuse her psych meds starting at 12 years old. Course I had the right to ground her until she took her meds :D
:confused::confused:

OP isn't in IL. And your response wasn't legally correct.

>Charlotte<

Lurker
This seems applicable:

400.66h Hospitalization; consent to surgical operation, medical treatment; first aid.

Sec. 66h.

Nothing in this act shall be construed as empowering any physician or surgeon, or any officer or representative of the state or county departments of social welfare, in carrying out the provisions of this act, to compel any person, either child or adult, to undergo a surgical operation, or to accept any form of medical treatment contrary to the wishes of said person. If the person for whom surgical or medical treatment is recommended is not of sound mind, or is not in a condition to make decisions for himself, the written consent of such person's nearest relative, or legally appointed guardian, or person standing in loco parentis, shall be secured before such medical or surgical treatment is given. This provision is not intended to prevent temporary first aid from being given in case of an accident or sudden acute illness where the consent of those concerned cannot be immediately obtained.

Because it specifically uses the word "child", it appears to supersede the parent's wishes. Then again, it says the physician, etc., can't compel. It doesn't say the parents can't. I almost don't want to post this because the interpretation seems a little arbitrary. I guess this is one of those times that actually having gone to law school comes in handy. Anyway--there it is, if it helps.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
In a nutshell...mommy & daddy have a LOT more authority to "force" it than the healthcare provider ;)

Avallon71

Using as a leverage tool

My ex-wife uses the statement "I will put you back on psych meds if you dont do what I tell you to do." Its more of a type of threat then anything. Thanks for the posts.. it gives me something to start with so I can contact a lawyer in michigan and persue the right way to approach it.

Thanks again for your comments.

cyjeff

My ex-wife uses the statement "I will put you back on psych meds if you dont do what I tell you to do." Its more of a type of threat then anything. Thanks for the posts.. it gives me something to start with so I can contact a lawyer in michigan and persue the right way to approach it.

Thanks again for your comments.
Your ex wife's statement is morally wrong on a number of points... but not legally wrong.

First, the meds are either needed or they are not. I would like to think we are past the days where petulant teenagers are provided a Thorazine drip are over.

Second, if the meds are needed, MOM and DAD can force Junior to take them.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">