• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Legality of putting a juvenile's face on news.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

meandmyself3492

Thanks for the info quincy, it helps a lot. I did NOT know that, but it seems logical. The news will publish whatever info they get their hands on. It's the government's job to keep the news from obtaining certain facts that they deem confidential. That's how I interpret it.

I just always though that the state couldn't release that type of information in the first place.

Oh well, it was a long shot anyway. I plan on going to college-my school counselor says I qualify for a lot of scholarships and my test scores are pretty high-so after I'm completely done with school I should have no problem getting a job. It's just that in the short term, not having a job is bothersome. As I stated above, I KNOW that it's my fault-thanks for reminding me anyway though, guys-and that I have to deal with the problems that I've made.

quincy

I tend to agree with your interpretation of the media and government, meandmyself, although I like to think that the media exercises a little self-control at times. ;)

If you concentrate on getting a good education and if you stay out of trouble from here on out, you should be able to overcome the conviction when you were 15. The fact of your crime will continue to arise, however, whenever you apply for jobs or when you apply to colleges, so expect some difficulties and a few rejections.

You may want to Google "Judge Joe Mathis," to see how he managed to turn his life around after a rather rocky youth.

Good luck.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
my school counselor says I qualify for a lot of scholarships and my test scores are pretty high
LOL Don't count on this. A lot of scholarship apps requite disclosure of a criminal past - and it will kill your chances of getting the money. I know kids who lost their scholarships for getting an MIP. Grand Theft Auto? LOL Why do you think people would want to give you money?

You didn't need anyone to screw your chances - you did it all on your own.

meandmyself3492

LOL Don't count on this. A lot of scholarship apps requite disclosure of a criminal past - and it will kill your chances of getting the money. I know kids who lost their scholarships for getting an MIP. Grand Theft Auto? LOL Why do you think people would want to give you money?

You didn't need anyone to screw your chances - you did it all on your own.
Okay buddy, there are scholarships specifically for kids who've gotten in trouble with the law in my state. And there are plenty of other scholarships that don't ask about criminal history, I'm sure some of them will cover me. Or some kind of grant, or a student loan.

As a matter of fact, I knew a kid that went straight into college after he got out, his college KNEW he was locked up as they were enrolling him, but he did well enough on his tests that they accepted him anyway, and he got out right as the school year started. I've heard of plenty of success stories, so it's not impossible for me to actually DO SOMETHING with my life, and I'm going to at least try. Thanks for trying to shoot down my hopes anyway.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
By all means try, and more power to you. But you'll get further if you start taking responsibility for what YOU did, and stop trying to blame others (i.e. the media) for what you did yourself.

I'm not trying to shoot anything down - just giving you the straight facts. As long as you use the, "it's all the media's fault for putting my name out" excuse and not the "I made a mistake, I take full responsibility for it, and I've learned from my mistake", approach, no one is going to give you another chance. Stop blaming others for your mistake, and you'll get a lot farther.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Okay buddy, there are scholarships specifically for kids who've gotten in trouble with the law in my state. And there are plenty of other scholarships that don't ask about criminal history, I'm sure some of them will cover me. Or some kind of grant, or a student loan.

As a matter of fact, I knew a kid that went straight into college after he got out, his college KNEW he was locked up as they were enrolling him, but he did well enough on his tests that they accepted him anyway, and he got out right as the school year started. I've heard of plenty of success stories, so it's not impossible for me to actually DO SOMETHING with my life, and I'm going to at least try. Thanks for trying to shoot down my hopes anyway.
I'm not your buddy. Fact is - you shouldn't *count* on getting a scholarship. 'Cause a lot of places won't support you as a result of your history.

And yeah - read cbg's post.

quincy

Meandmyself -

Because you have been convicted of a crime, you are going to face more challenges when it comes to finding a job and finding a college and finding scholarships to pay for college. You are going to be competing against those who have never committed a crime and you are going to cross the paths of many people who will judge you solely on your past acts. That is the reality.

However, you are right that you can get scholarships and funding for college - and with good grades and good test scores and a determination to succeed, you will do okay.

Federal Title IV funds will be available to you (there are drug conviction exceptions to eligibility but not auto theft exceptions). You must be sure that the school you plan to attend is an accredited school.

In 2008, Public Law 110-199 was enacted, and more money was budgeted for it this year. The Second Chance Act, as it is called, makes funds available to those who have been convicted of and/or incarcerated for crimes (see Second Chance Act | Reentry Policy Council). You can find money available for college through this Act.

And merit scholarships will often be based on grades and test scores alone and you will not be denied scholarship money because you have a conviction (especially when the crime was committed as a juvenile). With good grades and test scores, you should qualify for some merit-based scholarships.

A financial aid counselor will be able to help you locate more scholarships, grants and loans available for financing your college education.

The purpose of making funds available for education to those who have been convicted of crimes, and the whole reason for the creation of and passage of the Second Chance Act in 2007, is to stop recidivism. It IS more of a struggle to succeed after a conviction on ANY offense, and there are more hurdles in the way of securing both employment and education. Federal funding helps remove one obstacle by making educational opportunities available and affordable.

Last edited:

michaelpotter52

I tend to agree with quincy on this one. I was a stupid child and was arrested for burglary in the state of california at the age of 14. it kept me from getting into the military and a few jobs. but since then, i moved to connecticut and i am enrolled full time at one of the best colleges on the east coast. at least i think it is anyways. truth is, life is tough. having a felony on your record just makes it tougher. but it is not hard to get out of. Keep out of trouble, volunteer your time a few hours a week and just try anything you can to help yourself. legally anyways, and you'll prosper. keep your head up kid. i believe in you. oh and by the way, make sure your record is sealed. go to the probation department and ask for a hard copy of your sealed record report. if it is not sealed, get a lawyer and petition it to be sealed. It may be easier than California, but YOU have to make sure. it's not the courts resposibility. Good Luck.

quincy

Under Florida's Title XLVII, Chapter 943, §943.0515, meandmyself's criminal conviction on Grand Theft Auto will be automatically expunged at age 24. The statute allows expunction of an eligible juvenile offense 5 years after the date the minor reaches 19 years of age.

(good luck with college, michael!)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">