• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Malicious Destruction of Property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pmlgy

What is the name of your state? Michigan

In July 07, my son (16) and five of his friends were by one of their friends' house. A boy they know from school, drove by and were throwing sticks at them apparently as a joke. My son and his friends ran over to the car and jumped on it. My son, and the other boys involved, state he hopped on the hood as you would hop on a counter or table. The other boys climbed on the car and proceeded to jump on the hood causing damage. The car owner called the parents of the boys involved and demanded payment for the damage. Because he was asking for repair of the roof which my son had nothing to do with, I refused to pay. One boy, out of the six involved, paid $600.00. Today, 02/28/08, I received a call from the juvenile court stating my son was being charged with malicious destruction of property and conspiracy of malicious destruction of property. I was also told two other boys were being charged and that the reason this took so long was because the car owner was trying to obtain payment for the damages. Here are my questions:

1. If the entire story was told to the police, why are only three boys being charged and not all six involved? Can you pick and choose who's charged?

2. What about the boy that paid? Because he paid, does that exclude him from the charges?

3. What exactly is "conspiracy" of malicious destruction of property?

Any help anyone can provide would be appreciated.

Thanks!What is the name of your state?

jake-d

Conspiracy is planning to do something.
Because someone paid when the owner asked, it's up to the owner who gets charged and who doesn't.
You would probably get a gross misdemeanor malicious destruction charge and end up paying part per part.

I got charged for malicious destruction for just being there. I didn't do anything, but I was there. I have to pay the ~$25 damage someone did.

In Nevada:
<$250 damage is a misdemeanor
>$250 but <$1000 is a gross misdemeanor
>$1000 is a felony

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">