• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mandated Reporters

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? IN

Just because the other thread was closed, I did want to reiterate that there are regular contributors to this forum who ARE mandated reporters when it comes to child abuse and neglect. While normally I would agree that its "bad form" to attempt to track someone down in real life and get them in trouble, if someone is a mandated reporter that does throw a wrench into the whole thing.

However, it does behoove us to remember that we never know for sure who is posting here...and whether or not its someone pretending to be someone else, maliciously.

CdwJava

Of course, being a mandated reporter does not require that someone hunt down any and all rumor they might see or hear - especially when not received in the course of their duties.

I, for one, am not inclined to try and hunt down names and IP addresses of anyone who posts something here that might - if received int he course of my employment - be subject to action on my part.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? IN

Just because the other thread was closed, I did want to reiterate that there are regular contributors to this forum who ARE mandated reporters when it comes to child abuse and neglect. While normally I would agree that its "bad form" to attempt to track someone down in real life and get them in trouble, if someone is a mandated reporter that does throw a wrench into the whole thing.

However, it does behoove us to remember that we never know for sure who is posting here...and whether or not its someone pretending to be someone else, maliciously.
Hence why I said what I said. Do I try to track down every person? No. But when they post using readily identifiable information that leads it to a grey area and I am not comfortable risking a child OR my professional license. Hence why I have reported people in the past. And will continue to do so when they admit to crimes against children and post readily identifiable information. And mandated reporting requires reporting to the proper individuals who can investigate. It requires reporting the FACTS of what is known and not drawing conclusions.

quincy

Of course, being a mandated reporter does not require that someone hunt down any and all rumor they might see or hear - especially when not received in the course of their duties.

I, for one, am not inclined to try and hunt down names and IP addresses of anyone who posts something here that might - if received int he course of my employment - be subject to action on my part.
I tend to advise a poster to delete any personally identifying information and/or report to the administrators of the site any post with personal information disclosed that can harm the poster.

Many posters have no idea how easily what they post can be tracked back to them, especially if they like to use the same user name on several different sites. Many posters have no idea that what they post online (here or anywhere) can potentially be used against them in court.

I have posted this link often in the past but perhaps it is time to post it again: The Knight Community News Network has a "Ten Legal Risks" module that is worth a review. It provides good tips for everyone to keep in mind when writing on the internet. The legal risks a writer on the internet needs to consider prior to posting, and case law to demonstrate the risks, are accessible through http://www.kcnn.org - simply click on "modules" in the banner and scroll down to the "Legal Risks" information.

CJane

Many posters have no idea how easily what they post can be tracked back to them, especially if they like to use the same user name on several different sites. <<< This. I just don't get it. I don't have the same user name on ANY sites. It's just dumb.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">