• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Marijuana Misdemeanor

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

under18

I'm 15, I got caught with about 4 grams or marijuana in my bag. I'm pretty sure it should be an infraction because I wasn't on school grounds nor was I caught during school hours. Instead the citing officer made it a misdemeanor. I'm not sure why because this is my first offense and I've had a perfect record up until now. I was also curious about what the average ticket cost would be, if I have a chance of getting it changed to an infraction, and if not is there incarceration time?
Thanks for your help!
Nick

under18

Here's whats written on the citation
HSC: 11357 (B) - Possession of Marijuana by a minor (Misdemeanor)
And at the bottom "By Probation"

CdwJava

Don't worry what the officer wrote on the citation - it was probably habit since it has been a misdemeanor until 2011.

You will likely have to appear before a juvenile probation officer with one or both parents in tow and they will make an assessment as to whether this matter needs to go further. You can expect counseling, fines, and maybe some drug testing.

Time to get clean and stay that way.

under18

I was clean and still am. I was only in possession.
And is the fine going to be a maximum of $500 like all the websites are saying? Because I don't really trust all of those websites and I would rather hear it from a person who knows what they are talking about.

CdwJava

I was clean and still am. I was only in possession.
So, if you don't use, why did you have the dope? Are you a dealer?

Holding someone else's dope can get you charged with transportation or distribution, so don't do it.

And is the fine going to be a maximum of $500 like all the websites are saying? Because I don't really trust all of those websites and I would rather hear it from a person who knows what they are talking about.
The fine is $100, but all the fees, assessments, and maybe even cost to attend counseling could run more than $400 from what I have been told.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">