• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Married, as a minor and the compulsory school laws

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

charityelliot

What is the name of your state? colorado
I have full custody of my teenage daughter and she recently married, with my permission. How do the schooling laws apply to her? COLORADO law sates that kids need to go to school from 6-17, but now that she is married, does this law still apply? She is ready to turn 16. She is very smart and has her own business, has a few college classes under her belt and wants to pursue her business more than her schooling right now. Her husband is a business owner too and supports her well.

weenor

Fortunately for the Colorado courts have recently held that marriage at the age of 12 is o.k. I certainly hope that IAAL stops by....

I cannot comment on Colorado law with regard to schooling, but the idea that you would be willing to exchange your daughter's future for such bull is appalling. Owns her own business...bull at 15 or 16 she is not old enough to form a contract as a matter of law. Your are an IDIOT to even suggest that she should not continue school. Imagine trailer trash in Colorado...who knew?

CdwJava

weenor said:
Fortunately for the Colorado courts have recently held that marriage at the age of 12 is o.k. I certainly hope that IAAL stops by....
Careful! That common law story involves a very particular set of circumstances that are not likely to be held up in every case.

Besides, in CO a judge can allow a marriage under the age of 16 even if one or both parents object. I think it's tragic to do so, but I guess there are a lot of kids that want to play house for real.

And, according to the CO Revised Statutes, marriage does not exempt one from the compluslry education law.

- Carl

Happy Trails

charityelliot said:
I have full custody of my teenage daughter and she recently married, with my permission. How do the schooling laws apply to her? COLORADO law sates that kids need to go to school from 6-17, but now that she is married, does this law still apply? She is ready to turn 16. She is very smart and has her own business, has a few college classes under her belt and wants to pursue her business more than her schooling right now. Her husband is a business owner too and supports her well.
Where is Dad, did he consent as well?

AHA

charityelliot said:
Why in the world did you allow yu CHILD to get married???? Does she have a bunch of kids already or something?

What kind of business exactly is the CHILD a registered owner of?

edit:
On second thought, I think you are just a troll making this up, no parent can be this stupid and pimp out their child.

Happy Trails

AHA said:
Why in the world did you allow yu CHILD to get married???? Does she have a bunch of kids already or something?

edit:
On second thought, I think you are just a troll making this up, no parent can be this stupid and pimp out their child.
I agree, I think they were just shooting for the awesome, grand prize!

acmb05

AHA said:

edit:
Ummmm actually there is no age requirement for someone to legally own a business. So that part could possibly be true.

CdwJava

acmb05 said:
Ummmm actually there is no age requirement for someone to legally own a business. So that part could possibly be true.
It depends on the business, and what is required to obtain a business license locally.

- Carl

acmb05

CdwJava said:
It depends on the business, and what is required to obtain a business license locally.

- Carl
Well obviously they are not going to allow a child to own a strip club or adult book store, but the way she wrote it made it sound as though it was impossible for a minor to own a business and that simply is not the case.

acmb05

On a side not, an awful lot of businesses fail in the first year or two so she should definately finish her schooling so just in case she needs it a diploma is a wonderful thing to have.

AHA

acmb05 said:
Although that's not what I asked.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">