• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Maryland Drinking Citation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ostrichnaut

What is the name of your state? Maryland

Hi, I am an eighteen year old college student, a couple months ago I was caught with a beer and a half in my hands outside a college apartment. I was not drunk, and I'm pretty sure the policemen could tell that I wasn't. Regardless I was still given a drinking citation and I was very cooperative about it.

What I'm wondering is that do the policemen have to show up to my court date?
Since this is my first citation what is my likely punishment?
What are the possibilities that I escape a fine and get probation or if thats even possible?

Any help or information would be greatly appreciated, people I talk to say they either get 100-300 dollar fines but I saw a website that said 500 dollars, and I really can't afford that right now, hahaha.

FlyingRon

Hi, I am an eighteen year old college student, a couple months ago I was caught with a beer and a half in my hands outside a college apartment. I was not drunk, and I'm pretty sure the policemen could tell that I wasn't. Regardless I was still given a drinking citation and I was very cooperative about it.
You don't need to be drunk. It is illegal for you to consume any amount of alcohol.
You don't even need to have taken a drink. It is illegal for you to possess alcohol.
What I'm wondering is that do the policemen have to show up to my court date?
Since this is my first citation what is my likely punishment?
What are the possibilities that I escape a fine and get probation or if thats even possible?
You can be fined up to $500, get community service, and/or probation.
Seniorjudge will give you your best advice. Dress nicely, be polite, no gum, hands out of the pockets, refer to the judge as "your honor" everybody else as sir or ma'am. And plead your case.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">