• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Michigan MIP diversion program

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jdogg613

I live in michigan and got an MIP a little over a month ago along with 3 of my friends (im 16). I just went to court today where i pleaded guilty and accepted taking part in the diversion program. Part of the probation i recieved is random drug and alcohol testing twice a month for 6 months. The officer told me the fine for the program is $50, but that the tests also cost $10 each time. I just want to know more about the testing, such as what types of drug and alcohol tests are used and what they test for. Also, when we were arrested there was no marijuana found so i question why Im getting drug tested this often and if theres any way i could get it reduced.

justalayman

You get drug tested because that is part of the rules of
The diversion program. Either accept it or tell the prosecutor you want to go to trial, if you can. It may be too late.

I believe the alcohol test is a breathalyzer. The drug test is a urine test. Don't know how many panels it is though.

You can make this easy or hard. It's up to you. Either stay clean or risk getting violated and have this on your criminal record as a conviction.

Jdogg613

You get drug tested because that is part of the rules of
The diversion program. Either accept it or tell the prosecutor you want to go to trial, if you can. It may be too late.

I believe the alcohol test is a breathalyzer. The drug test is a urine test. Don't know how many panels it is though.

You can make this easy or hard. It's up to you. Either stay clean or risk getting violated and have this on your criminal record as a conviction.
A friend of mine went through this program and said he was forced to take an EtG test for alcohol one time, but just had to blow for the rest of them. I know alcohol shows up on EtG tests for up to 5 days, but would you be surprised if i do have to take one of these tests? Or do you think i would have to pay more than $10 if they were giving me these types of tests?

justalayman

Sure they could. Maybe it's typical for your area. I can see it used occasionally for those that think they are safe with a breathalyzer and drink anyway.

Kid, if you want to play the system, it's up to you. It would be wise to simply comply with the rules.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
If, at the age of 16, you cannot go six months w/o a drink, you have more serious problems than your MIP.

Jdogg613

Sure they could. Maybe it's typical for your area. I can see it used occasionally for those that think they are safe with a breathalyzer and drink anyway.

Kid, if you want to play the system, it's up to you. It would be wise to simply comply with the rules.
What about nicotine

quincy

What about nicotine
One of the conditions of probation is that you obey all local, state and federal laws. It is against Michigan law for a 16 year old to smoke cigarettes. Smoking cigarettes, therefore, is a violation of the terms of your probation.

For a good look at probation for juveniles in Michigan, here is a link to a Leelanau County overview of the laws (you can scroll down to "drug screens and preliminary breath tests" and read from there for answers to the questions you ask here).

What are ... Probation Requirements: http://www.leelanau.cc/howdoia.asp?rid=17

If you don't smoke, don't drink, don't do drugs, don't violate the law in any other way, and if you meet all of the other conditions of your diversion program, you can come away with a clean criminal record. If you violate any of the terms of your probation, you could have your probation revoked and you can wind up with a criminal record that will affect your future in all sorts of bad ways.

Last edited:

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
Not helpful. I definitely can go 6 months without a drink.
Then you don't have to ask about how to avoid getting caught.

Look up the meaning of "diversion".

You have a choice:
(1) the Diversion Program
(2) the book thrown at you, potentially.

If you want to do the diversion program, you have to follow the rules. If the rules seem too onerous, then yes, you do have a problem. Better to recognize that you have a problem and address it now. Legally, recognizing you have a problem and addressing it looks better than not.

quincy

I suppose it should be noted for Jdogg613 that marijuana smoke and tobacco smoke cling to clothing and hair, and alcohol can be detected on one's breath. Alcohol and marijuana and cigarettes all have distinctive smells.

In other words, it is nearly impossible for a drinker or a smoker to not be detected by a probation officer on smell alone.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">