• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Minor (16) Emancipation in Indiana

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

KaytePerry

My name is Kayte Perry. I am sixteen years old and I live in Indiana. My mother abuses multiple drugs and has a very serious alcohol problem that she is not willing to admit... It has progressed more and more over the last few years. I've tried many ways to get her help but no matter who has told her, she denies any issues & will not listen to anyone: My counsilors, her friends, family, the neighbors, etc. It has gotten so bad that she has had to start working out of the house because she was unable to get up on time and make it to work when she was required. She is irresponsible and extremely cruel. I truly 100% feel she puts me in danger daily with her drugs, alcohol, drunk driving, abuse, and ingeneral her every day living. She constantly tells me I am the reason she drinks and it's my fault. Her and my dad got divorced when I was five and he now has another family of two little girls and is currently going through his third divorce. We do not talk and he does not want me living with him. I was hoping to find some information or cases won by minors for emancipation in Indiana. The issue is, I do have a small record. The police are out at my house at least once a month because my mother is intoxicated, abusing me. But they can never do anything serious to help. She will not allow me to leave. I've gotten multiple charges of runaway for leaving when she gets violent. I've slept outside in storms and missed school because of it. She locks me out about once a week, if not more. It's only hurting me and I'm still getting no help. I want to graduate and go to college but I feel she is holding me back with all her problems. I was a straight A student but as she has gotten worse, my grades have slowly dropped. Which is no excuse, they are my grades & my responsibility but I feel she is holding me back from what I am capable of without the daily stress of her issues. About a week ago, a policeman I've been discussing my case with asked me to look into getting emancipated. I do not have a job at the moment and I do know that I have to do that before I can file any petition. My boyfriend is of legal age, has a job, and is working on getting an aparentment of his own just for this reason. We lived together for almost a year under my moms roof before he moved out so I'm confident it's a living situation that will work. My brother also just turned 18 in August so he would be an option too. I just don't know where to start so I was hoping you or anyone could help. I am open to any suggestions.

Also, I am Epileptic. I have to take 600 milligrams of my seizure medicine daily. If I were to be granted emancipation, how would I go about getting my medicine? Would my parents have to keep me on their insurence or would I be required to pay for it?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

mistoffolees

My name is Kayte Perry. I am sixteen years old and I live in Indiana. My mother abuses multiple drugs and has a very serious alcohol problem that she is not willing to admit... It has progressed more and more over the last few years. I've tried many ways to get her help but no matter who has told her, she denies any issues & will not listen to anyone: My counsilors, her friends, family, the neighbors, etc. It has gotten so bad that she has had to start working out of the house because she was unable to get up on time and make it to work when she was required. She is irresponsible and extremely cruel. I truly 100% feel she puts me in danger daily with her drugs, alcohol, drunk driving, abuse, and ingeneral her every day living. She constantly tells me I am the reason she drinks and it's my fault. Her and my dad got divorced when I was five and he now has another family of two little girls and is currently going through his third divorce. We do not talk and he does not want me living with him. I was hoping to find some information or cases won by minors for emancipation in Indiana. The issue is, I do have a small record. The police are out at my house at least once a month because my mother is intoxicated, abusing me. But they can never do anything serious to help. She will not allow me to leave. I've gotten multiple charges of runaway for leaving when she gets violent. I've slept outside in storms and missed school because of it. She locks me out about once a week, if not more. It's only hurting me and I'm still getting no help. I want to graduate and go to college but I feel she is holding me back with all her problems. I was a straight A student but as she has gotten worse, my grades have slowly dropped. Which is no excuse, they are my grades & my responsibility but I feel she is holding me back from what I am capable of without the daily stress of her issues. About a week ago, a policeman I've been discussing my case with asked me to look into getting emancipated. I do not have a job at the moment and I do know that I have to do that before I can file any petition. My boyfriend is of legal age, has a job, and is working on getting an aparentment of his own just for this reason. We lived together for almost a year under my moms roof before he moved out so I'm confident it's a living situation that will work. My brother also just turned 18 in August so he would be an option too. I just don't know where to start so I was hoping you or anyone could help. I am open to any suggestions.

Also, I am Epileptic. I have to take 600 milligrams of my seizure medicine daily. If I were to be granted emancipation, how would I go about getting my medicine? Would my parents have to keep me on their insurence or would I be required to pay for it?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
There's not a chance in the world that you'd be emancipated. First, you need to be able to support yourself, including medical expenses (and living with someone doesn't count). Second, your dropping grades and runaway problems mean that you're not mature enough to be on your own.

If you are being abused or neglected, contact CPS or talk with a school counselor (who would be obligated to contact CPS on your behalf). But unless you're being neglected or abused, you need to learn to live with it.

Antigone*

If you feel you are being abused at come call the child protective services in your area. You will not be emancipated.

FYI ~ empancipated people do not need to be on their parents insurance. They can afford their own.;)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">