• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

minor with a adult

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

omgt

i live in california and my friend is 16 and the other person is 21 but the parent likes the individual that is older and is fine with them having a relationship. can they have a relationship as long as they have parental consent?

Last edited:

CdwJava

i live in california and my friend is 16 and the other person is 21 but the parent likes the individual that is older and is fine with them having a relationship. can they have a relationship as long as they have parental consent?
If their "relationship" is of the entirely non-sexual kind, sure. If there is ANY sexual activity (to include fondling, groping, fellatio, or intercourse) then the 21 year old will be guilty of a FELONY. Kissing would be legal, though makes my skin crawl at the thought.

So, friends or platonic boyfriend/girlfriend (that means NO sex) - yes ... anything else, nope! This is why a teenage child is called "jail bait."

Understand that it is not the parent or the child that has to pursue a crime report here. If they have any sexual relationship of most any kind and it comes to light the state can pursue the case regardless of whether the child or the parent wants to pursue it.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
The age of consent in CA is 18. A parent cannot make legal what is illegal.

Read Carl's post THOROUGHLY.

acmb05

If their "relationship" is of the entirely non-sexual kind, sure. If there is ANY sexual activity (to include fondling, groping, fellatio, or intercourse) then the 21 year old will be guilty of a FELONY. Kissing would be legal, though makes my skin crawl at the thought.

So, friends or platonic boyfriend/girlfriend (that means NO sex) - yes ... anything else, nope! This is why a teenage child is called "jail bait."

Understand that it is not the parent or the child that has to pursue a crime report here. If they have any sexual relationship of most any kind and it comes to light the state can pursue the case regardless of whether the child or the parent wants to pursue it.
And you can bet if he dumps her and she is mad enough it will come to light. Even if he don't dump her, teenagers love to brag to their friends, then friend gets mad and it is all over for the OP. Lifelong sexual offender list.

CdwJava

And you can bet if he dumps her and she is mad enough it will come to light. Even if he don't dump her, teenagers love to brag to their friends, then friend gets mad and it is all over for the OP. Lifelong sexual offender list.
It often tends to come to light after the dumping and the girl starts sobbing to her friends, parents, teachers, or counselors about how he loved her and left her ... or, she catches him screwing around with someone else and the cops get involved as a result of the fight or disturbance. (Had one of those just a couple weeks ago! Boyfriend tried to pick up on little sister of a 16-year-old and little sis was loyal to her sister and set him up to be caught by big sis! Oops!)

However, unlawful intercourse per PC 261.5 is not going to require registration as a sex offender ... however, most other acts CAN result in a charge that will land them on the list! Interesting that fondling and groping might land you on the list in CA but consensual intercourse between a 16 and 21 year old can't ... odd.

Last edited:

cyjeff

It is also worth mentioning that in the jungle that is the modern penal institution, child molesters are below plankton on the food chain.

In other words, if you decide to diddle with a child, be prepared to be passed around the cell block as a sexual toy. This is NOT the way to spend the next decade or so.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">