• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Minor & Adult dating laws....

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

HunnyCombs

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Washington

okay, I was wondering if it were illegal for a person of 19 and 16 have a relationship (non-sexual) in the state of Washington? (and if a parent objects to the relationship?) Also, if the law is the same in California as well?

thanks in advance.

H

HunnyCombs

--PARIDISE-- said:
Ask your parent's. They know the answer.
my parents are being untruthful to me, so thats why I am asking here for answers.

CdwJava

In CA, as long as the parents approve - and there is no petting or sex involved - its legal. If the parents of the child tell the grown-up to pound sand and he refuses, he COULD find himself with silver bracelets.

And since it would seem that in this case the parents are not approving of this relationship, the adult can expect a criminal record or a a restraining order if he/she is not careful.

Carl

VR_Hunter

HunnyCombs said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Washington

okay, I was wondering if it were illegal for a person of 19 and 16 have a relationship (non-sexual) in the state of Washington? (and if a parent objects to the relationship?) Also, if the law is the same in California as well?

thanks in advance.
Parents sometimes bend the truth to stop their children from doing stupid things. Sometimes they outright lie. Listen to your parents. You will be glad you did two years down the road.

Yes, your parents can cause a lot of problems for the 19 year old. LOTS.

AHA

HunnyCombs said:
my parents are being untruthful to me, so thats why I am asking here for answers.
How do you know they are being untruthful? Since you are asking what the law is, you obviously don't know it and would therefore have no idea if what the parents said is true or not, am I right?

ptlmejo

Boy meets girl...
Boy hugs girl...
Boy kisses girl...
Boy and girl fool around...
Boy and girl sleep together...

Yeah, I know, we've all heard it before. Find someone your own age.

PhantomofApollo

ptmejo, don't you think that's a bit malevolent? You sound awfully bitter. Not everything boils down to sex, despite the fact that scociety has deemed love irrelevant, some of us want love not just meaningless sex. Maybe Honeycombs really likes this person.

As for the laws they probably state you cant be with her, although i haven't even a notion about what they say. I personlly disagree with any law resricting love because frankly, love is abstract in every thinikable way. God made it where a boy and girl can fall in love, not a boy and girl above age so-and-so will fall in love. Who has the right to say someone isn't in love other than that person? Besides 50% of marriages cease in devorce, so the adults saying they know love better than everyone else, obviously, don't. Now I'm not saying all adults can't figure it out, all I'm saying is minors should decide who they date.

One last thing thats just an opinion, and has little to do with helping your problem. Why is it a 16 year old and 19 year old can't have a relationship? I know people who are married and ten years apart (quite a few actually) and they are happily married. My own parents are about 5 years apart and they aren't devorced. I don't even understand why this 16 year old's parents object to a three year difference.

Good Luck HoneyCombs, I'm sure everything will turn out ok.

Silverplum

PhantomofApollo, I don't suppose you noticed the posts are 3 years old?

The original poster is long of age, and probably the parent of several rugrats by now. :rolleyes:

CourtClerk

ptmejo, don't you think that's a bit malevolent? You sound awfully bitter. Not everything boils down to sex, despite the fact that scociety has deemed love irrelevant, some of us want love not just meaningless sex. Maybe Honeycombs really likes this person.

As for the laws they probably state you cant be with her, although i haven't even a notion about what they say. I personlly disagree with any law resricting love because frankly, love is abstract in every thinikable way. God made it where a boy and girl can fall in love, not a boy and girl above age so-and-so will fall in love. Who has the right to say someone isn't in love other than that person? Besides 50% of marriages cease in devorce, so the adults saying they know love better than everyone else, obviously, don't. Now I'm not saying all adults can't figure it out, all I'm saying is minors should decide who they date.

One last thing thats just an opinion, and has little to do with helping your problem. Why is it a 16 year old and 19 year old can't have a relationship? I know people who are married and ten years apart (quite a few actually) and they are happily married. My own parents are about 5 years apart and they aren't devorced. I don't even understand why this 16 year old's parents object to a three year difference.

Good Luck HoneyCombs, I'm sure everything will turn out ok.
There is a reason why we read posts in their entirety before we respond to them... so we don't dredge up old posts... but I have to say, the bolded has me a bit concerned about you, because this is a similiar argument that NAMBLA uses to defend what they do/believe in.

Just Blue

There is a reason why we read posts in their entirety before we respond to them... so we don't dredge up old posts... but I have to say, the bolded has me a bit concerned about you, because this is a similiar argument that NAMBLA uses to defend what they do/believe in.
Just what I was thinking...:(

billy12345

in washington state it is 48 month differance, from what to police told my mom, when she was trying to get one of my sisters boyfriends arrested.

The Occultist

in washington state it is 48 month differance, from what to police told my mom, when she was trying to get one of my sisters boyfriends arrested.
Please pay attention to what is going on. This thread is several years old, and we are chastising the poster that revived it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">