Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 22
  1. #1
    HunnyCombs Guest

    Lightbulb Minor & Adult dating laws....

    What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Washington

    okay, I was wondering if it were illegal for a person of 19 and 16 have a relationship (non-sexual) in the state of Washington? (and if a parent objects to the relationship?) Also, if the law is the same in California as well?

    thanks in advance.
  2. #2
    Shay-Pari'e is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Bay Area, CA
    Posts
    10,184
    Ask your parent's. They know the answer.
  3. #3
    HunnyCombs Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by --PARIDISE--
    Ask your parent's. They know the answer.
    my parents are being untruthful to me, so thats why I am asking here for answers.
  4. #4
    CdwJava is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    California
    Posts
    27,334
    In CA, as long as the parents approve - and there is no petting or sex involved - its legal. If the parents of the child tell the grown-up to pound sand and he refuses, he COULD find himself with silver bracelets.

    And since it would seem that in this case the parents are not approving of this relationship, the adult can expect a criminal record or a a restraining order if he/she is not careful.

    Carl
    A Nor Cal Cop Sergeant

    "Make mine a double mocha ...
    And a croissant!"

    Seek justice,
    Love mercy,
    Walk humbly with your God

    -- Courageous, by Casting Crowns ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkM-gDcmJeM
  5. #5
    VR_Hunter is offline Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    The misty depths of my own mind
    Posts
    160
    Quote Originally Posted by HunnyCombs
    What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Washington

    okay, I was wondering if it were illegal for a person of 19 and 16 have a relationship (non-sexual) in the state of Washington? (and if a parent objects to the relationship?) Also, if the law is the same in California as well?

    thanks in advance.
    Parents sometimes bend the truth to stop their children from doing stupid things. Sometimes they outright lie. Listen to your parents. You will be glad you did two years down the road.

    Yes, your parents can cause a lot of problems for the 19 year old. LOTS.
  6. #6
    AHA
    AHA is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    4,544
    Quote Originally Posted by HunnyCombs
    my parents are being untruthful to me, so thats why I am asking here for answers.
    How do you know they are being untruthful? Since you are asking what the law is, you obviously don't know it and would therefore have no idea if what the parents said is true or not, am I right?
  7. #7
    ptlmejo is offline Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    336
    Boy meets girl...
    Boy hugs girl...
    Boy kisses girl...
    Boy and girl fool around...
    Boy and girl sleep together...

    Yeah, I know, we've all heard it before. Find someone your own age.
  8. #8
    PhantomofApollo is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    2
    ptmejo, don't you think that's a bit malevolent? You sound awfully bitter. Not everything boils down to sex, despite the fact that scociety has deemed love irrelevant, some of us want love not just meaningless sex. Maybe Honeycombs really likes this person.

    As for the laws they probably state you cant be with her, although i haven't even a notion about what they say. I personlly disagree with any law resricting love because frankly, love is abstract in every thinikable way. God made it where a boy and girl can fall in love, not a boy and girl above age so-and-so will fall in love. Who has the right to say someone isn't in love other than that person? Besides 50% of marriages cease in devorce, so the adults saying they know love better than everyone else, obviously, don't. Now I'm not saying all adults can't figure it out, all I'm saying is minors should decide who they date.

    One last thing thats just an opinion, and has little to do with helping your problem. Why is it a 16 year old and 19 year old can't have a relationship? I know people who are married and ten years apart (quite a few actually) and they are happily married. My own parents are about 5 years apart and they aren't devorced. I don't even understand why this 16 year old's parents object to a three year difference.

    Good Luck HoneyCombs, I'm sure everything will turn out ok.
  9. #9
    Silverplum is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Grand Junction, CO
    Posts
    25,558
    PhantomofApollo, I don't suppose you noticed the posts are 3 years old?

    The original poster is long of age, and probably the parent of several rugrats by now.
  10. #10
    PhantomofApollo is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    2
    Nope i didn't rotl
  11. #11
    CourtClerk is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Sitting at the computer probably rolling my eyes at your post
    Posts
    13,439
    Quote Originally Posted by PhantomofApollo View Post
    ptmejo, don't you think that's a bit malevolent? You sound awfully bitter. Not everything boils down to sex, despite the fact that scociety has deemed love irrelevant, some of us want love not just meaningless sex. Maybe Honeycombs really likes this person.

    As for the laws they probably state you cant be with her, although i haven't even a notion about what they say. I personlly disagree with any law resricting love because frankly, love is abstract in every thinikable way. God made it where a boy and girl can fall in love, not a boy and girl above age so-and-so will fall in love. Who has the right to say someone isn't in love other than that person? Besides 50% of marriages cease in devorce, so the adults saying they know love better than everyone else, obviously, don't. Now I'm not saying all adults can't figure it out, all I'm saying is minors should decide who they date.

    One last thing thats just an opinion, and has little to do with helping your problem. Why is it a 16 year old and 19 year old can't have a relationship? I know people who are married and ten years apart (quite a few actually) and they are happily married. My own parents are about 5 years apart and they aren't devorced. I don't even understand why this 16 year old's parents object to a three year difference.

    Good Luck HoneyCombs, I'm sure everything will turn out ok.
    There is a reason why we read posts in their entirety before we respond to them... so we don't dredge up old posts... but I have to say, the bolded has me a bit concerned about you, because this is a similiar argument that NAMBLA uses to defend what they do/believe in.
  12. #12
    Blue Meanie is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    23,880
    Quote Originally Posted by CourtClerk View Post
    There is a reason why we read posts in their entirety before we respond to them... so we don't dredge up old posts... but I have to say, the bolded has me a bit concerned about you, because this is a similiar argument that NAMBLA uses to defend what they do/believe in.
    Just what I was thinking...
  13. #13
    Silverplum is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Grand Junction, CO
    Posts
    25,558
    Goodnight, PoA.
  14. #14
    billy12345 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    5
    in washington state it is 48 month differance, from what to police told my mom, when she was trying to get one of my sisters boyfriends arrested.
  15. #15
    The Occultist is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    5,408
    Quote Originally Posted by billy12345 View Post
    in washington state it is 48 month differance, from what to police told my mom, when she was trying to get one of my sisters boyfriends arrested.
    Please pay attention to what is going on. This thread is several years old, and we are chastising the poster that revived it.

Similar Threads

  1. PA Law: Adult Minor Dating
    By JG102 in forum Juvenile Law
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 01-13-2009, 02:12 PM
  2. minor dating an adult
    By superdork in forum Juvenile Law
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 06-01-2008, 10:35 PM
  3. minor and adult dating
    By worriedsickin in forum Juvenile Law
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-25-2006, 09:21 PM
  4. Minor dating an adult
    By herdarkness in forum Juvenile Law
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 06-19-2006, 12:15 PM
  5. Minor Dating an Adult
    By curious92549 in forum Juvenile Law
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 11-01-2005, 03:13 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

© 1995-2012 Advice Company, All Rights Reserved

FreeAdvice® has been providing millions of consumers with outstanding advice, free, since 1995. While not a substitute for personal advice from a licensed professional, it is available AS IS, subject to our Disclaimer and Terms & Conditions Of Use.