• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Minor/Adult Relationship

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ihidbehindmusic

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law) Tennessee

I believe I have a greater understanding of this situation. Sorry again if I came across rude.

Thanks for the help: Cbg, CSO286, Blue Meanie, Silver Plum

THREAD IS CLOSED.

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Regardless of stat rape or not, if the mother decides that she does not want you together, regardless of the reason, she can prohibit it. And if you go ahead and see her anyway, she can get a restraining order. And if you violate the restraining order, you can go to jail.

Regardless of the stat rape issue, there are plenty of other things you can be charged with if you begin a sexual relationship with a minor whose mother does not approve. And yes, some of them could land you in jail.

Keep your pants zipped and find a girl your own age.

CSO286

Okay, I was previously dating a girl who was under 18, and I am 18 or over. I am about 3.5 years older than her, and we both want to be in this relationship. My question is if I were to have a sexual relationship with her would I go to jail? As I understand it statutory rape is now "-defined as unlawful sexual penetration between the defendant and victim when the victim is between thirteen and fifteen years old and the defendant is four years older or when the victim is between fifteen and eighteen years old and the defendant is five years older." [tennesseecriminallawyerblog] This is as of 2006. I am not as interested in this as the second part.

My next question is, if her mother decided she did not want us together, could she have me sent to jail? I know she could try, but is there any chance it would work? The only reason she does not like me is because she knows I'm 18 or over (she has never met me). I was under the assumption that lawful action would have to be in place to keep us separated.

Sources​
Changes in Statutory Rape laws :: Tennessee Criminal Lawyer BlogWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

How old is the girl?

And if Mom doesn't want you near the girl, you shouldn't be anywhere near the girl.

If on Mom's property, you're trespassing. Mom can call the cops on you.

Mom could attempt to get a TRO to prevent you from being near her CHILD. Violating that could land you in jail.

If you have sex with the CHILD, (dpending on her age) you could wind up in jail.
Why not just wait till the CHILD turns 18 and have a relationship then? Why must you do it right now?

ihidbehindmusic

I believe I have a greater understanding of this situation. Sorry again if I came across rude.

THREAD IS CLOSED.

Last edited:

ihidbehindmusic

THREAD IS CLOSED.

Last edited:

Just Blue

Okay, I was previously dating a girl who was under 18, and I am 18 or over. I am about 3.5 years older than her, and we both want to be in this relationship. My question is if I were to have a sexual relationship with her would I go to jail? could she have me sent to jail? I know she could try, but is there any chance it would work? The only reason she does not like me is because she knows I'm 18 or over (she has never met me). I was under the assumption that lawful action would have to be in place to keep us separated.

Sources​
Changes in Statutory Rape laws :: Tennessee Criminal Lawyer Blog
Also, I'm not looking for moral advise. And no, I don't plan on having sex with her or anything of the sorts.
Huh??????????????????????????????????

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
If you weren't planning on a sexual relationship, why did you ask if you'd go to jail if you had one?

Mom is GOD when it comes to her minor CHILD. If Mom says you can hang out at school, then you can hang out at school. If Mom says you can't, then you can't. If Mom says you can come to the house, you can come to the house. If Mom says you can't, then you can't. You have exactly the rights to see the CHILD that Mom says you have, and none that she does not.

Clear?

ihidbehindmusic

THREAD IS CLOSED.

Last edited:

Silverplum

It was a very minor question. The question I really care about, and I don't want any advise other than than legal advise. I'm sorry if I sound like some punk teen, I just don't want to hear advise as said from the parent's point of view. I just want to know if I can be sent to jail for continuing to talk to and see this girl; assuming we will not leave the state, or have sexual relations.

Are you saying that by "MOM" saying that I cant see her that is LAW and if I see her I will be legally punished in some way? Again, I apologize if I sound like a punk teen, I just want a straightforward answer.
Posts 2, 3, and 7 were quite clear.

ihidbehindmusic

THREAD IS CLOSED.

Last edited:

CSO286

Let me get this straight then, If MOM says no and I do it anyways, I go to jail?
Mom can pursue legal action that can result in you going to jail.

If Mom doesn't want you anywhere near her child, and you do not honor that, expect a restaining order.

If you violate the restraining order, expect jail time.

Just Blue

Let me get this straight then, If MOM says no and I do it anyways, I go to jail?
Perhaps. Mom COULD file a RO against you. She could also file a criminal complaint: Contributing to the Delinquency of a Minor, Parental Interference and, depending on your State Stat's, perhaps other charges.

The parent of this CHILD has told/displayed negative feelings toward an ADULT slinking up with her minor CHILD. STAY AWAY. ;)

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Thanks for quoting the OP. I'll save it in case our OP decides to thread-delete...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">