• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Minor asked to call parent before & while being questioned

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nay

What is the name of your state? Ohio

My son was recently arrested for arson. He is 12 years old. He was arrested at school when the fire investigator went to the school to question him. I was asked if this was ok, I said yes, but for them to call me before going, so that I could meet them there. I was never called until my son was arrested. He said that he asked them if he could call me before and while they were questioning him. He was not allowed to call me. He said he told them he did it because they wouldn't believe him and he just wanted them to leave him alone.
Do minors have the same rights as adults when being questioned? Should they had let him call me since he asked more than once?What is the name of your state?

CdwJava

The federal standard is that the police must honor the minor's request for an attorney. Ohio MIGHT require a request for a parent the same privelege (California does), but I am not sure. One Ohio attorney follows these boards and she might be able to answer this.

Also, remember that you were not there and you cannot be sure what he said or did.

He needs for you to hire him an attorney immediately. An attorney MIGHT be able to get the confession suppressed, or, argue that his admission was not voluntary and that he was not competent to understand the consequences of an admission. But, that will be a tough call.

Contact an attorney.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">