• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Minor caught stealing...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ry94080

I am a resident of California.

My little brother, 16 years old, was caught stealing a laser pointer pen from a retial store at the mall. The pen was $9.95. He was detained by the store manager and security. My brother was then released to my father. The store then sends a settlement letter asking for $350.00 to settle the case. It was from some law office in Florida. What should we do? Should we pay? It says they may follow with a Civil Case, he is a minor. What are my options? What do you recommend?
:confused:

Silverplum

I am a resident of California.

My little brother, 16 years old, was caught stealing a laser pointer pen from a retial store at the mall. The pen was $9.95. He was detained by the store manager and security. My brother was then released to my father. The store then sends a settlement letter asking for $350.00 to settle the case. It was from some law office in Florida. What should we do? Should we pay? It says they may follow with a Civil Case, he is a minor. What are my options? What do you recommend?
:confused:
"WE" should pay for nothing. (And why do you rotate between 1st and 3rd person?)
The thief should pay for his crime and the sanctions.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Time for Lil Bro to get a job, methinks. He can pay of HIS fine and also stay too busy to get into this sort of foolishness. That's what I'd make my 16yo do. If he were stupid enough to shoplift.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">