• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Minor Consumption charge

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

az123

What is the name of your state? Texas

Last Thursday, I was at the beach with some friends when 2 cops pulled up. The cops randomly pulled aside 2 kids to question. Nobody seemed more suspicious than another--it was completely random. Any one of us could have gotten the MIC/MIP, but only one of the guys and myself were pulled aside and got in trouble. His reason for pulling me aside, initially, was because I "looked suspicious." He made me blow into a breathlyzer threatening that he would take me to jail otherwise. I am 17 years old, by the way. I heard somewhere that if a minor was to blow a breathlyzer, the cop should have let me call a parent first? In any case, I was not given that option. I blew a .031 because I had a single drink... my first ever without parents, actually. I have a completely clean record, I am the first in my class, I'm already accepted into 2 colleges, I do tons of community service, and I have never really done anything wrong ever... this was just one of those things I got peer pressured into and wanted to experience like the other teenagers my age before I graduated. One of those "wrong place/wrong time" situations. I'm hoping that because Nueces county has a lot of MIPs and MICs handed out these past few weeks (due to spring break) that the court will go easier because I'm sure they have other things to worry about. I'm don't really know though.

I am supposed to write a letter to the judge, entering a plea. Like I said, I have never done anything like this before, so this entire situation is overwhelming. Any suggestions about what I should say? Should I plead guilty, not guilty, or nolo contendere? What I should do? Whether or not I need to hire an attorney? Is there anyway I can beat this case? Is there anyway that this can get expunged or removed from my record if I were to get charged? I've heard about teen court... is that an option? Will my school find out? And lastly, I hear that records get erased once I turn 18... is that true (as in no one can ever find out about this after 18)?

I apologize for the overload of questions, but I honestly am clueless as to what to do. Also, should I straight out just plead guilty? Thanks... any bit of information helps!

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">