• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

minor dating an adult

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

superdork

texas: well i'm 15 now, turning 16 next march, and my girlfriend is 17, turning 18 in june. she's worried that there are laws preventing us from dating, because the legal age in texas is 17. i already know about the laws such as aiding in the delenquency of a minor, statutory rape, and molestation, and none of those are a problem for us. are there any laws that directly prevent us from dating?

CdwJava

As long as your parents do not object, she can "date" you. That does not permit fondling, groping or sex in violation of state law, however - just dating (dinner, a movie, handholding, an occasional kiss, etc.).

- Carl

superdork

well they're saying that they think she should wait 2 years until i'm 17, but i don't want to keep her isolated in college. she told me about a month ago that we should be together while we can, then she'll be off to college, then come back every couple weekends and holidays, then go out on a date when she's home. i'm getting some mixed messages here, but there's no laws against it? she just doesn't want to make this hard so she's making excuses?

Hot Topic

Why is an 18 year old girl interested in a 15 year old boy?

She'll go off to college, meet males her own age, and you'll be left to keep company with 15 and 14 year olds.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Age of consent in Texas is 17, not 14. That means that it is NOT LEGAL to have sex with someone who is under 17.

Which has nothing to do with the fact that it is clear that the 18 year old in this post is trying to be nice about the fact that she's dumping the 15 year old . Which is the smart, right and proper thing for her to do under the circumstances.

Last edited by a moderator:

superdork

ok first of all, please don't make wild accusations about why we are dating. I'm not like most 15 year olds. I, not to sound arrogant, am smarter than, not only our senior valedictorian, but frankly most of the teachers at the school. she keeps telling me that we should just wait the two years until i'm 17, but her parents ended up telling us not yet. I thank those of you who did help, and the rest of you shouldn't have even bothered posting. have a nice day.

mommyof4

well they're saying that they think she should wait 2 years until i'm 17, but i don't want to keep her isolated in college
Oh, I can promise you that she will be in no way 'isolated' in college. She's smart enough to know that she isn't going to be tied down to a kid when she has such a fabulous chance to live her life on her terms and meet new and interesting people from around the globe.

Honey...you need a reality check. Your girlfriend has outgrown you, both legally and emotionally.

She's being nice. Have the grace and class to accept reality with dignity and that famed intelligence and super natural maturity you claim to possess.

Oh...and if you think that at 15 you are the smartest, brightest, most wonderfulest :Daround, they you aren't nearly as smart, bright, and wonderful as you think you are. You are a typical 15 year old who hasn't figured out that the world doesn't worship you. That's okay, though....at 15, this is how you are SUPPOSED to think and feel.

superdork

oh yes. that's exactly what I am. In a world based as much as this one on prejudice and stereotypes, it is impossible to have such a smart person coming from Texas. We're all hicks, end of story. After all, having one of the highest educational systems in the United States means nothing considering we're all "yee haw"ing, horse riding, cowboy hat and boot wearing neanderthals. Besides, earning the top 3 spots at INTEL, the world wide high school and university science fair means nothing, other than the $10k+ my friends and I won in scholarships and cash. Even more proof on my intelligence is that I've developed about 6 formulas within this year (from late september until now) that shortcut most trigonometric and geometric equations...(can't say much about my maturity though. That's something you have to realize by talking to me)

btw, if she's just being nice, why has she been the one to kiss me? your logic might account for that, but there are some exceptions to every rule.

so in closing to this very long winded post, I say again; if you do not have something helpful to add, please do not waste my nor anybody else's time, thank you. However, those of you who post information such as Carl and Amlebede have, may suggest as you please, because we've found your suggestions very helpful.

Last edited:

mommyof4

oh yes. that's exactly what I am. In a world based as much as this one on prejudice and stereotypes, it is impossible to have such a smart person coming from Texas. We're all hicks, end of story. After all, having one of the highest educational systems in the United States means nothing considering we're all "yee haw"ing, horse riding, cowboy hat and boot wearing neanderthals. Besides, earning the top 3 spots at INTEL, the world wide high school and university science fair means nothing, other than the $10k+ my friends and I won in scholarships and cash. Even more proof on my intelligence is that I've developed about 6 formulas within this year (from late september until now) that shortcut most trigonometric and geometric equations...(can't say much about my maturity though. That's something you have to realize by talking to me)

btw, if she's just being nice, why has she been the one to kiss me? your logic might account for that, but there are some exceptions to every rule.

so in closing to this very long winded post, I say again; if you do not have something helpful to suggest, please do not waste my nor anybody else's time. thank you.
Thank you so much for proving my point. I AM a Texan, born and bred, Chickadee.:p (Have to add....).....as are my parents, both sets of grandparents, all 4 sets of great grandparents, and all 8 sets of great great grandparents. Before that...they were in Ireland. Wanna' know where my maternal great greats ended up? Shamrock, Texas.:D

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
not to sound arrogant, am smarter than, not only our senior valedictorian, but frankly most of the teachers at the school.

There isn't a 15 year old who ever walked the earth who didn't hold this opinion of him or herself. This doesn't prove you to be exceptional, sugar, it proves you to be a completely average 15 year old.

Just Blue

Even more proof on my intelligence is that I've developed about 6 formulas within this year (from late september until now) that shortcut most trigonometric and geometric equations...(can't say much about my maturity though. That's something you have to realize by talking to me)

And yet you don't have the brains to look up the state statute for yourself...sigh...:rolleyes:

mommyof4

And yet you don't have the brains to look up the state statute for yourself...sigh...:rolleyes:
His IQ doesn't allow him to decipher Texanese. It's a whole smart 15 year old kid thinking he knows everything he ever needs to know and that his love is so profound that the laws surely don't apply to him.;)

superdork

none of this proves your own point, but rather implies every word of my last post (about that whole prejudiced stereotyping thing...remember?)

I'm glad to see there is at least one other texan who believes we are not all hicks who should be treated like 5 year olds.

by the way, if there isn't, hasn't, and won't be any 15 year old without that opinion of themselves, then apparently texans that are a decade and a half old aren't human 15 year olds.

finally, the whole reason i'm here in the first place is to find out the law. most laws aren't very specific, so i thought it would be more useful to try and find the opinions of other human beings, and apparently that was a bad idea. once again, the rest of humanity would rather ridicule and stereotype a simple texan rather than attempt to help someone with a problem. this is humanity's greed and cruelty at its finest.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
This has nothing to do with what state you live in. This has to do with the fact that you're 15. As such, you're an arrogant know it all, not because you're a Texan, but because you're 15. 15 year olds in all states, in Canada, in Great Britain, in France, in India, ad infinitim, are all convinced that they know it all and are far more mature than they really are. And the more they try to prove it, the more they prove how far off the mark they are.

Now, do you want to know the answer to your question, or do you just want to show off how mature and knowledgable you think you are but aren't?

superdork

the only reason this has turned into such a debate is because i asked a simple question, then some came in and started wasting everybody's time telling that they know how EVERY 15 year old is exactly the same, which, once again, shows off the whole "prejudice" thing. I have gotten the answer I wanted, and now the rest of you are simply here to get more posts, which is completely beyond me why you would. it's not like you get anything good for being cruel.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">