• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Minor dating an adult....

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Sherry Huss

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I have an 15 year old sister who is dating someone who could by 20 by now. I read an older thread about the same topic and someone said "petting" is illegal. Can someone tell me the law code and direct me to it. I would like to educate myself before I speak to her. Thanks in advance.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I have an 15 year old sister who is dating someone who could by 20 by now. I read an older thread about the same topic and someone said "petting" is illegal. Can someone tell me the law code and direct me to it. I would like to educate myself before I speak to her. Thanks in advance.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Have you talked to your parents about this?

Sherry Huss

I haven't. I know my parents will flip. I'm substantially older than my sister, so before I speak to my parents I would like o get all the ducks in a row. My parents are old school Asians so I will by default be the mediator. Though, I completely disagree about my sister dating this guy.

justalayman

does the legality actually matter? If your parents do not approve, they have a right to quash the relationship. They are the parents of the 15 yo and as such, have a right, nay, a duty to raise and protect their children as they see fit.

Sherry Huss

No it doesn't matter, but if it is illegal I would like to bring her attention to the legality of the matter. I'm still going to talk to her and my parents, but if it's illegal then we have another reason (big) to squash it.

CdwJava

I have an 15 year old sister who is dating someone who could by 20 by now. I read an older thread about the same topic and someone said "petting" is illegal. Can someone tell me the law code and direct me to it. I would like to educate myself before I speak to her. Thanks in advance.
Groping, fondling, intercourse, oral sex, exposing one's self to a minor, etc. are all illegal. Dating and holding hands is not. The code sections are many. You can go online and look up Penal Code sections 261.5, 288(a), 288a, and 647.6 for starters.

If your parents end up condoning a sexual relationship between these two (and we have had to deal with this a few times in my community where we have a significant Hmong population) then mom and dad could go to jail for contributing to the delinquency of a minor among other offenses. They would almost certainly lose custody of her if they support, condone, or encourage their minor child to engage in any sexual activity.

This 20 year old male has no business dating a 15 year old child. Emotionally they are not at the same place so that leaves only one component where they might be compatible ... and that one can lead to jail.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">