• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Minor/Minor sexual contact

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jepson

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

I had this all typed out, but when I went to post, a message came up that said it couldn't be posted because of some security thing missing? So, here is my second attempt at this post.

I have a 12 year old grandson. His parents are divorced, and have shared parenting, a week on/week off arrangement. Both of his parents are engaged, living with their fiancé's, and the father's fiancé has a 9 year old son. Yesterday, the 9 year old said that the 12 year old had forced him to perform oral sex on him. Upon questioning of both boys (separately), both boys stated that the 9 year old had asked the 12 year old what oral sex was, and my grandson said "I'll show you." and had the 9 year old perform oral sex on him. According to both boys, this happened twice.

When my grandson was questioned further by his parents about why he had done this, he stated that his uncle (my son) had done the same thing to him when he was little. Grandson stated that he was "out of diapers, but not in kindergarten yet" when this allegedly took place, which would have put my son between 10-12 at the time. My daughter said to me today that she questions her son's statements, as there were several discrepancies in his story. My daughter also spoke with my son last night for about 3 hours. My son adamantly denies ever doing anything inappropriate to my grandson. My son told my daughter that he would do whatever it takes to get to the bottom of this.
My grandson had gone to counseling last year for several months. He was really acting out at school and at home, lying, bullying his little sister, not doing his school work, etc. We attributed his behavior to his parents' divorce, the fact that both of his parents had new love interests in their lives, and the fact that until about halfway through the year, his parents were in constant conflict about visitation, child support, custody, etc.

My daughter called grandson's counselor today and explained the situation to him. The counselor stated that he had to involve CPS. They have an appointment with CPS tomorrow afternoon and were told that it is possible that an officer will be there, and that grandson could possibly be charged. My daughter told me she did not mention to the counselor or to CPS my grandson's accusations towards my son. Her reasoning is that she wants someone more qualified than herself to question my grandson.

So, as a family, we have many questions. First of all, what is my grandson looking at from a legal standpoint? I know that age plays a big part in how these types of situations are handled. If the 9 year old's mother declines to press charges, is that enough to keep this out of court; or is it something that is decided by CPS and/or law enforcement? If charges are filed against my grandson, is this something that will label him as a sex offender for the rest of his life? I am clueless about those laws. Also, how will things be handled with the accusations against my son? In an incident that allegedly happened roughly 8 years ago, what is the process of investigating and proving or disproving what my grandson said my son did to him? This is just such a heartbreaking mess. I know that no one here can tell me what the outcome in all of this will be, but if we could get some idea of what the processes are, and what we are facing (legally) in both instances, we would greatly appreciate it.

CTU

Meddlesome Priestess

I had this all typed out, but when I went to post, a message came up that said it couldn't be posted because of some security thing missing? So, here is my second attempt at this post.

I have a 12 year old grandson. His parents are divorced, and have shared parenting, a week on/week off arrangement. Both of his parents are engaged, living with their fiancé's, and the father's fiancé has a 9 year old son. Yesterday, the 9 year old said that the 12 year old had forced him to perform oral sex on him. Upon questioning of both boys (separately), both boys stated that the 9 year old had asked the 12 year old what oral sex was, and my grandson said "I'll show you." and had the 9 year old perform oral sex on him. According to both boys, this happened twice.

When my grandson was questioned further by his parents about why he had done this, he stated that his uncle (my son) had done the same thing to him when he was little. Grandson stated that he was "out of diapers, but not in kindergarten yet" when this allegedly took place, which would have put my son between 10-12 at the time. My daughter said to me today that she questions her son's statements, as there were several discrepancies in his story. My daughter also spoke with my son last night for about 3 hours. My son adamantly denies ever doing anything inappropriate to my grandson. My son told my daughter that he would do whatever it takes to get to the bottom of this.
My grandson had gone to counseling last year for several months. He was really acting out at school and at home, lying, bullying his little sister, not doing his school work, etc. We attributed his behavior to his parents' divorce, the fact that both of his parents had new love interests in their lives, and the fact that until about halfway through the year, his parents were in constant conflict about visitation, child support, custody, etc.

My daughter called grandson's counselor today and explained the situation to him. The counselor stated that he had to involve CPS. They have an appointment with CPS tomorrow afternoon and were told that it is possible that an officer will be there, and that grandson could possibly be charged. My daughter told me she did not mention to the counselor or to CPS my grandson's accusations towards my son. Her reasoning is that she wants someone more qualified than herself to question my grandson.

So, as a family, we have many questions. First of all, what is my grandson looking at from a legal standpoint? I know that age plays a big part in how these types of situations are handled. If the 9 year old's mother declines to press charges, is that enough to keep this out of court; or is it something that is decided by CPS and/or law enforcement? If charges are filed against my grandson, is this something that will label him as a sex offender for the rest of his life? I am clueless about those laws. Also, how will things be handled with the accusations against my son? In an incident that allegedly happened roughly 8 years ago, what is the process of investigating and proving or disproving what my grandson said my son did to him? This is just such a heartbreaking mess. I know that no one here can tell me what the outcome in all of this will be, but if we could get some idea of what the processes are, and what we are facing (legally) in both instances, we would greatly appreciate it.
Honestly? All of you need to say not one more word to anyone other than an attorney hired to represent you/them.

I know you're looking for peace of mind but this isn't something a message board can provide.

quincy

Clearing your browser cache is often all that is needed to make the "missing a security token" message disappear.

... the 9 year old said that the 12 year old had forced him to perform oral sex on him. whatever it takes to get to the bottom of this ...

So, as a family, we have many questions. First of all, what is my grandson looking at from a legal standpoint?
Here is a link to Ohio's sex offenses laws: http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/2907

You are right that age plays a big part in how these situations are handled. Because of the young ages of the boys, the concentration will probably be on counseling and rehabilitation rather than any sort of criminal punishment, but it is likely there will be a forced separation of the boys (the abuser from the abused) for at least a time.

I agree with CTU that what you have described should not be discussed publicly and goes beyond the type of help a legal forum can offer. Seeking out legal assistance in your area is wise and advised.

With that said, we do have an attorney from Ohio who posts on occasion to this forum and she may want to add some information. You could check back later to see if "Ohiogal" has posted.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
How was the youngest forced? Or was he saying he as made to do it because he didn't want to get in trouble?
This may not be a crime but I need my questions answered. And the oldest child definitely needs counseling as does the youngest -- but for different reasons.

jepson

Ohiogal, my understanding is that after the act, grandson told the other child that he would "bloody his face" if he told anyone what had happened.

jepson

AFTER the act is not forcing someone.
"Upon questioning of both boys (separately), both boys stated that the 9 year old had asked the 12 year old what oral sex was, and my grandson said "I'll show you." and had the 9 year old perform oral sex on him. According to both boys, this happened twice."

In my original post, I was relaying the sequence of events. 9 year old originally said he was forced, then admitted he had asked 12 year old what it was. So yes, the threat came after the act. How does this change things, from a legal standpoint?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
"Upon questioning of both boys (separately), both boys stated that the 9 year old had asked the 12 year old what oral sex was, and my grandson said "I'll show you." and had the 9 year old perform oral sex on him. According to both boys, this happened twice."

In my original post, I was relaying the sequence of events. 9 year old originally said he was forced, then admitted he had asked 12 year old what it was. So yes, the threat came after the act. How does this change things, from a legal standpoint?
They are both under the age of 13. Unless force is involved in the sexual act, it is not a crime. Per the Ohio Supreme Court.

jepson

They are both under the age of 13. Unless force is involved in the sexual act, it is not a crime. Per the Ohio Supreme Court.
Thank you. This relieves a lot of stress. Both boys are set up for counseling appointments.

jepson

Urgent! I just got a text from my daughter that she is with CPS and a detective right now, and that the detective is going to call me to ask me questions about my old house and about my son. Do I answer his questions, or should I refuse and contact an attorney first? The problem right now is that I am not currently in Ohio, but everyone else involved in this is. I could be in Ohio in 4-5 hours if necessary.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Urgent! I just got a text from my daughter that she is with CPS and a detective right now, and that the detective is going to call me to ask me questions about my old house and about my son. Do I answer his questions, or should I refuse and contact an attorney first? The problem right now is that I am not currently in Ohio, but everyone else involved in this is. I could be in Ohio in 4-5 hours if necessary.
You don't have to talk to anyone. However, your son could find himself prosecuted because a 12 year old with an infant is an issue and would involve force.

eerelations

You don't have to talk to anyone. However, your son could find himself prosecuted because a 12 year old with an infant is an issue and would involve force.
Nine years old is an infant? (Sorry, not being sarcastic or anything, it's just that I've always thought of infants as being somewhere around toddler age - and younger - so I am confused now.)

LdiJ

Nine years old is an infant? (Sorry, not being sarcastic or anything, it's just that I've always thought of infants as being somewhere around toddler age - and younger - so I am confused now.)
Oral sex between 9 year old and 12 year old...being investigated...appears consensual.

12 year old claims that his uncle did the same to him when he was "out of diapers but before KG". Uncle would have been 10-12 at the time. However that still does not equal infant to me. That indicates a 3-5 year old. Uncle denies that entirely.

The OP is grandma to the 12 year old and mom to the uncle.

jepson

Oral sex between 9 year old and 12 year old...being investigated...appears consensual.

12 year old claims that his uncle did the same to him when he was "out of diapers but before KG". Uncle would have been 10-12 at the time. However that still does not equal infant to me. That indicates a 3-5 year old. Uncle denies that entirely.

The OP is grandma to the 12 year old and mom to the uncle.
While talking to my daughter yesterday, she said that when she questioned grandson about incident with my son, she asked him why he never told anyone. He said he was afraid "uncle would hurt me" my daughter asked him if my son threatened him, and he said no.

I got a message from my daughter a few minutes ago - she had taken her ex-husband, his fiancé, and her son to the counselor this morning, as their car broke down- she said "This just got sticky for (12 year old) in a hurry. (9 year old) and (12 year old)'s stories don't match. This could very well make (12 year olds) accusations against (uncle) null and void."

I'm not sure what she means by that, and I'm waiting for her to call me to explain this morning's events. She also said the detective would probably be calling me today.

LdiJ - you are correct with the ages. Grandson would have been 4-5, son would have been 11-12, if this happened when grandson says it did.

Last edited:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
LD got it. I was reading it as the 12 year old was then an infant or toddler. That would post a legal problem for the uncle.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">