• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Minor in Possession - 20 yr old - WA state

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dukemoo

What is the name of your state? Washington

The story:
Drank ONE beer with friends at house, went for walk to a park with 7 people. Walked through a university campus, police pulled us over when they noticed one of the group was carrying a brown bagged bottle (fifth of whiskey). I had no knowledge he had this as I was walking in the front of the group. They stopped us, saw the bottle had been opened although we hadn't drank from it. I was cited an MIP for admitting to drinking a beer, and having the liquor present. I was never tested by breathilizer, or anything, just the admission of drinking. I am 20 years old, and a student at the university. I went to my arraignment which was simply a lawyer reading off our names, giving us a copy of the official complaint, and pleaing not guilty. We were not given a chance to speak. My question is, I have heard and read about a diversion/deferral program. How exactly does this work, and what do I need to do to complete it and what actions are best for me to actually be accepted by the judge as a defereral, yes this is my first and only offense!
THANKS!

FlyingRon

Your admission of having drunk was all that was necessary.

That's all an arraignment is. Officially it's the reading of the charges so you know what you are against officially. You then enter a plea (or intent). Commonly, at this point inquiries are made as to whether you are going to obtain counsel or need a public defender, and whether you intend to request a jury trial, and the scheduling of the trial are done as well, but that's just local procedure.

You lawyer can talk to you about the diversion options. Note you also are going to get your license revoked (if you either are convicted or go into the diversion) for a year officially, but you can get it restored when you turn 21 or 90 days later (but you must specifically apply for this). Either way you end up taking the test again, paying the license fee, and $75 extra.

summitzero

similar account

i got an MIP a week before i turned 21 and some of the conditions of not going to jail were no alcohol related offense or infractions and i got an open container ticket about 2 weeks ago, and my restitution hearing is in about 20 days or so, what kind of options am i looking at?

Isis1

i got an MIP a week before i turned 21 and some of the conditions of not going to jail were no alcohol related offense or infractions and i got an open container ticket about 2 weeks ago, and my restitution hearing is in about 20 days or so, what kind of options am i looking at?
first off, don't open a three year old thread.

second. start your own.

;)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">