• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Minor in Possession

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jmonty

What is the name of your state? I live in South Carolina. I'm 18 years old. I was recently at a party that was busted and everyone there who was under 21 received MIP's. Here's how everything went:

There was a noise violation from the apartment complex that I was at about some guys making a lot of noise outside. These guys were not part of the party. When the cops arrived, they told the guys to knock it off and find something else to do. When they were walking back to their cars, there were 3 of them, they noticed a girl sitting on the steps close to the apartment everyone was in. She had a beer can in her hand so they approached her and asked her for her ID. Being startled, she immediately walked towards the door where the party was taking place, but stopped when the cop noticed that her wallet was sitting on the steps where she was. She never opened the door. The cop noticed that she was walking towards the door, so he said that since she started towards it, he had probable cause to see if anyone else was drinking inside. He, himself, then opened the door without knocking and walked right in. He told everyone that the only way out was to produce an ID, or go out in handcuffs. While writing everyone tickets, the other cops searched the rooms for other people. They also searched the cabinets and refrigerator for more alcohol. They never gave anyone a breathalyzer, just wrote tickets. One of the cops actually liked the beer pong table at the party and asked the guy who made it, if he gave him the money, would he make one for him. My question is: Did they have probable cause to walk in? The girl outside was underage, but never opened the door to the apartment. Is there anything I might have a case with?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">