• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Minor in possession of tobacco

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jfaulk39

What is the name of your state? Texas
My son got a ticket of possession of tobacco of a minor, he is 17, he did not buy the cigs he only passed the pack of cigs from the kid who bought them to the console of the drivers car. He was in someone elses car and did not have any cigaretts in his possession, he only touched them in passing them. Is this still considered possession of tobacco????

Happy Trails

My son got a ticket of possession of tobacco of a minor, he is 17, he did not buy the cigs he only passed the pack of cigs from the kid who bought them to the console of the drivers car. He was in someone elses car and did not have any cigaretts in his possession, he only touched them in passing them. Is this still considered possession of tobacco????
http://www.lectlaw.com/def2/p057.htm

jfaulk39

Thanks, so if you were on the jury would by say he was in possession???? He says the driver of the car will testify the cigs were not for him.

Happy Trails

Thanks, so if you were on the jury would by say he was in possession???? He says the driver of the car will testify the cigs were not for him.
The Texas statute allows certain exceptions:

§ 161.252. POSSESSION, PURCHASE, CONSUMPTION, OR RECEIPT OF CIGARETTES OR TOBACCO PRODUCTS BY MINORS PROHIBITED.

(a) An individual who is younger than 18 years of age commits an offense if the individual:
(1) possesses, purchases, consumes, or accepts a cigarette or tobacco product; or
(2) falsely represents himself or herself to be 18 years of age or older by displaying proof of age that is false, fraudulent, or not actually proof of the individual's own age in order to obtain possession of, purchase, or receive a cigarette or
tobacco product.
(b) It is an exception to the application of this section that the individual younger than 18 years of age possessed the cigarette or tobacco product in the presence of:
(1) an adult parent, a guardian, or a spouse of the individual; or
(2) an employer of the individual, if possession or receipt of the tobacco product is required in the performance of the employee's duties as an employee.

(c) It is an exception to the application of this section that the individual younger than 18 years of age is participating in an inspection or test of compliance in accordance with Section 161.088.
(d) An offense under this section is punishable by a fine not to exceed $250.

How did he get caught holding the cigarettes?
Did the driver confess immediately that they were his?

This story sounds like something that was made up after the fact, in order to try and create a defense.

Would I find him guilty? Technically, your son did have possession of a tobacco product, and the officer who wrote the citation also believed your son had possession.

jfaulk39

Possession??

He was not caught holding a cigarette, he was handed the pack and he placed it in the console of his friends car, he had contact with the cigs for less than 15 seconds, 3 of 5 were given tickets for minor in possession, then when the cops were about to leave 20 minutes later one said give him (my son) a ticket too. Would you find him guilty if you were on a jury, I have requested a jury trial.

Happy Trails

He was not caught holding a cigarette, he was handed the pack and he placed it in the console of his friends car, he had contact with the cigs for less than 15 seconds, 3 of 5 were given tickets for minor in possession, then when the cops were about to leave 20 minutes later one said give him (my son) a ticket too. Would you find him guilty if you were on a jury, I have requested a jury trial.
Did the driver admit immediately that they were his?

jfaulk39

minor in possession of tobacco

The driver said he was buying the cigs for a work mate, he will testify they were not for my son, I will be shocked if the DA even takes the case and it goes to trial. Everyone in the car will testify the cigs were not for my son......so do you think a jury will find him guilty?

Happy Trails

The driver said he was buying the cigs for a work mate, he will testify they were not for my son, I will be shocked if the DA even takes the case and it goes to trial. Everyone in the car will testify the cigs were not for my son......so do you think a jury will find him guilty?
If it does end up going to a jury trial and if I were one of the jurors and if I believed the testimony that the tobacco product was not your sons, I would not find him guilty.

But there are a lot of "ifs"....

Swav107

Sometimes I wish the police would spend their time protecting our streets from violence, instead of busting minors for tobacco

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Sometimes I wish that the minors in this country would learn the meaning of the word, illegal, and that the laws apply to them also, not everybody else.

skylerschnee210

Sometimes I wish the police would spend their time protecting our streets from violence, instead of busting minors for tobacco
OMG thank you! i just got an MIP of tobacco and i got court soon... its funny how much truble the cop went threw to give me it... he found a lil bag of beech nut chew in my backpack.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Yes he was in possession of them. He was able to reach them and have control over them. Hence he was in possession of them. I would find him guilty. Per the law he is guilty.

ETA: I should have looked at the original date -- dang necro posting!

stacyellen

Was your son given a ticket right there on the spot? This just happened to my son and his friends, and he was told he would get a citation in the mail. We are also in Texas.

quincy

Was your son given a ticket right there on the spot? This just happened to my son and his friends, and he was told he would get a citation in the mail. We are also in Texas.
If you have a legal question, please start your own thread. This thread is from 2007 and belongs in the archives for reference purposes only.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">