• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

minor questioned without parent

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

anboul

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NC

I'm going to give you the short version. My minor son was accused of touching a minor girl. There hasn't been any charges, nothing can or has been proven.

Well, my son was questioned at school without a parent being present or notified. The school don't even who it was. They don't have a name. They couldn't even tell me how or if they even verified the person's id. After the woman I spoke with called me back. She said someone form the Dept of Juvenile Justice came, but still had no name. She then said she contacted their legal department, and they said they have to legally let him talk to the person. Well, I spoke with the Dept of Juvenille Justice, and they said they didn't come out to his school. They also said that they wouldn't come out unless he has been arrested before, been to court, etc (which he has not).

I have two questions: 1) Can a minor child be questioned by the police, DSS, or anyone regarding an offense or as a suspect in any matter without a parent being present or notified?

2) Do I have some type of legal recourse against the school?

mistoffolees

1 - yes.

2 - no.
3. You should try to get to the bottom of the matter yourself. Touching a minor is a VERY serious matter and if it's true, you need to deal with it. Even if you think it's not true, if charges are ever filed, get an attorney. If you have reason to believe that it might be true, get the kid into counseling - even if charges are never filed.

anboul

Thank you. It's not true. He was sitting between two other people and the child had on tight jeans and a pullup. The other people didn't see anything, they would have noticed something like that, plus her pants were never unbuttoned. The mother has already been in this situation before, so I just believe she's on edge and letting everything get to her (which is understandable). I know my son didn't do this, but if she's so sensitive with it, she needs to have her children with her.

Isis1

Thank you. It's not true. He was sitting between two other people and the child had on tight jeans and a pullup. The other people didn't see anything, they would have noticed something like that, plus her pants were never unbuttoned. The mother has already been in this situation before, so I just believe she's on edge and letting everything get to her (which is understandable). I know my son didn't do this, but if she's so sensitive with it, she needs to have her children with her.
are you under the impression a child cannot be molested unless the child is naked?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">