• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Minor stealing out of my bank account

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ALstudent24

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Alabama

Recently, I noticed $200 missing out of my savings account, and upon calling the bank, they told me it was just a teller error, so the money was placed back into my account. Then, an additional $800 was withdrawn in two different transactions within a week, and upon this complaint, the bank admitted that someone was using my account. They caught this person on camera and identified her. The money was placed back into my account, so what are my options or optional charges to prosecute? She signed all of the withdrawl receipts with my name, but she is 17 years old. Am I allowed to prosecute her on the basis of identity theft? Is this amount of money considered a felony? Please help! Thank you!

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Alabama

Recently, I noticed $200 missing out of my savings account, and upon calling the bank, they told me it was just a teller error, so the money was placed back into my account. Then, an additional $800 was withdrawn in two different transactions within a week, and upon this complaint, the bank admitted that someone was using my account. They caught this person on camera and identified her. The money was placed back into my account, so what are my options or optional charges to prosecute? She signed all of the withdrawl receipts with my name, but she is 17 years old. Am I allowed to prosecute her on the basis of identity theft? Is this amount of money considered a felony? Please help! Thank you!
No, you can't prosecute anyone. The County DA might; but since the bank returned your money, I would think it is now the bank's problem and not yours as far as following up with this.

CdwJava

Report the problem to the police and let them take it from there. It could be as simple as identical account numbers (I have seen such things happen before), or it might be an intentional crime. Apparently you do not know the details, yet.

And ... just how do you know her age? Did she also open an account at the bank at the age of 17?? Does someone there know her? A video sure as heck ain't gonna show her age.

- Carl

ALstudent24

Well, the first $200 that was missing out of my account was due to the bank teller transposing my account number with this girls. She signed the withdrawl receipt not realizing at that time that she had money out of my account, but the receipt had my full name and account number on it. So then this girl realized that she had my information, she went to the back to the bank two times to get $800 more dollars out of my account. The bank did research and determined from the video who this girl was and determined this girl's identity on the initial disputed $200 trasnaction and saw her signature, not mine. That's basically all the information they will give me, and that's how I know she's a minor. I do know that they were applying for a warrant, but now they are trying to keep all of the information about the case private, and won't give me any details.

CdwJava

It's a criminal investigation, she's a minor, and you are a witness/victim - they are not likely to give you too much information as that might taint any criminal or civil prosecution that proceeds against her. You need to be able to testify as to what YOU know, not what others told you. And once people start telling you things, witnesses tend to blend those tales into their statements as "fact" when they never really knew such things on their own accord.

So, if you have been made whole, simply ask the bank how they are going to secure your account and then move on. It's someone else's problem now. If they need you at court, they'll call you.

Uh ... now, you HAVE called the police, right? Or you have spoken to a police officer that the bank called, right? If not, you might want to call the police yourself.

- Carl

Antigone*

Well, the first $200 that was missing out of my account was due to the bank teller transposing my account number with this girls. She signed the withdrawl receipt not realizing at that time that she had money out of my account, but the receipt had my full name and account number on it. So then this girl realized that she had my information, she went to the back to the bank two times to get $800 more dollars out of my account. The bank did research and determined from the video who this girl was and determined this girl's identity on the initial disputed $200 trasnaction and saw her signature, not mine. That's basically all the information they will give me, and that's how I know she's a minor. I do know that they were applying for a warrant, but now they are trying to keep all of the information about the case private, and won't give me any details.
I do suggest that you close your account and open a new one - your number has been compromised.

When it comes to the evidence, I have to tell you that since you have been made whole by your bank, essentially you are no longer the victim for the bank fraud piece. I do agree that you should call the police and inform them that you are the victim of identity theft and give the police the name and phone number of the bank representative who helped you on your fraud case.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">