• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Minor wants to drop out of school

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

b0075001

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Louisiana

I have a 16 year old sophomore in high school who wants to drop out. All the encouraging, support, begging, revoking privlidges, and just talking plain common sense not to do this has gone to deaf ears ... it's a very sad thing to witness, and is out of control at this point, therefore my concerns are legal ones. If that little turd goes through with this, am I somehow responsible for truancy voilations or any other legal issues because the child refuses to become educated? I am not going to get into a physical altercation, having to dress and transport the child to school. It would be very ugly.

I want to ensure that I won't somehow be arrested because of the child not going to school. Although any comments are welcome, please try to keep them to the legal issues.

Thank you.

BelizeBreeze

tell him if he drops out before his 17th birthday you'll call the police and have him in Juvenille detention for truancy

State law requires students to attend school until age 17. But it allows a student who is 16 to withdraw from school before graduation with the written consent of his parent or guardian (La. Rev. Stats., Sec. 17-221).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">