• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Minority Emancipation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bonnie3d

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? TX

My daughter who is 17 and a junior in high school wants to move to another town and live with her brother who is 19. She wants to enroll in high school there. Can she do this legally? She has been having problems at home and is determined to live on her own. This is the best alternative I can come up with. Otherwise she will run away and the legal troubles will begin.

seniorjudge

bonnie3d said:

My daughter who is 17 and a junior in high school wants to move to another town and live with her brother who is 19. She wants to enroll in high school there. Can she do this legally? She has been having problems at home and is determined to live on her own. This is the best alternative I can come up with. Otherwise she will run away and the legal troubles will begin.
Ask her how she plans to support herself 100%.

And don't give her any money.

justalayman

bonnie3d said:

It sounds like you are willing to let her go to live with her brother. Is there some reason that you feel she would need to be emancipated? Why can you not just let her stay with her brother and still remain your ward?

bonnie3d

State of Texas. My concern is not how she will support herself or how much money it will cost me. These are very resourceful children with a large support group of friends in this particular city. My concern is that she will be 250 miles away and in high school. Things come up with teenagers and someone is expected to handle them. High schools want parents to answer for any disciplinary problems, attendance problems, and not just bad things, but issues such as permission to attend trips, ect. I don't know how this can be handled legally other than emancipation. Is there another alternative?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
bonnie3d said:
State of Texas. My concern is not how she will support herself or how much money it will cost me. These are very resourceful children with a large support group of friends in this particular city. My concern is that she will be 250 miles away and in high school. Things come up with teenagers and someone is expected to handle them. High schools want parents to answer for any disciplinary problems, attendance problems, and not just bad things, but issues such as permission to attend trips, ect. I don't know how this can be handled legally other than emancipation. Is there another alternative?
You may be able to give your son temporary guardianship of his sister. Check with the family court and see if they have the paperwork available to do this. That would allow him to be legally responsible for her while you are 250 miles away.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">