• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Minor's right to property?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Fiver

What is the name of your state? Oregon

I'm new to the boards and not exactly sure if this is the right sub-forum but it seems fitting.

I've recently been planning a trip with with my mother (not out of country) that would require my passport as it's my only form of identification at the moment. All was good to go but when I asked my father (they're divorced if that matters in the least) for MY passport and he refused. I was upset as that'd pretty much kill the trip but he wouldn't budge. He claims that as a minor (I'm 17) I have no right to property and that it was effectively his despite it being issued (and possibly paid for?) by me.

Is it just going to rot in his desk drawer until I turn 18 or do have have some options? Any help would be most appreciated!What is the name of your state?

-Fiver

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
You don't "buy" another passport'; you have to apply for it through the Passport office.

IF you need the passport before you turn 18, get your mother to help deal with him.

You would need his permission to leave the country anyway, so he'd be giving you your passport or telling you that you can't go.

You need your state ID.

CourtClerk

Until you're 18, the others are right, you would need his permission to leave the country anyway, so I guess you're staying put until then.

Also for the record, the children in my house don't own ANYTHING in my house and don't have the right to much except food, shelter and clothing and I have made that known.

CdwJava

CourtClerk said:
Also for the record, the children in my house don't own ANYTHING in my house and don't have the right to much except food, shelter and clothing and I have made that known.
Ditto that! In my home, not only do the kids OWN nothing, and the Constitution is suspended in favor of the ruling Oligarchy!

- Carl

sjmjuly

Until you're 18, the others are right, you would need his permission to leave the country anyway, so I guess you're staying put until then.

Ahhhh, ain't nothing better than living with HITLER. Do you give them just bread and water?
Sometimes I wonder why people even have kids,,,,,

CdwJava

sjmjuly said:
Ahhhh, ain't nothing better than living with HITLER. Do you give them just bread and water?
Sometimes I wonder why people even have kids,,,,,
He did NOT say he does not provide more, only that they do not have the right to more - which is the truth.

Kids do not have a RIGHT to more than the basics. That's the law, and that is only proper. CHILDREN do not dictate how they are raised, parents do. Sadly, too many parents allow the children to run the roost ... you're right, some people shouldn't have kids - the people that don't understand the difference between being a parent and a friend to their child.

Kids have plenty of friends ... they only have two parents. (Sadly, sometimes not even that.)

- Carl

quincy

Kids 14 and under need their parents' consent to apply for and get a passport. Kids over 14can apply on their own for one with or without their parents' consent.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">