• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

MIP 15 year old

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

uranus

OMAHA, NEBRASKA

I have never been in trouble with the Law ever before in my lifetime. The other night some friends and I were at a bowling alley and someone had brought some Bud Lights in their car, we decided to drink some ( i drank a half a can) and a couple hours later We decided to leave and a friend was going to take us home.

Long story short we are pulled over by the cops and we are all tested and I blew a 0.03 (The legal limit for a minor is 0.02). I was charged with a MIP and I dont know my court date (I havent recieved my letter to tell me) but im thinking its Nov. 28th because all the people who were charged that night that is their court date also.

With a clean record and blowing a low number is there anyway that they may drop the case? What should I do? I'm really unsure of what will happen and just want some advice on what to do. I am also under the age of 16 so they had to do a street release.

uranus

my parents already know, thanks for absolutely no help. I'm looking for what to expect and what to actually do.

and its cute that you think the name means something other than the planet (which I am referring to, because I like astronomy/astrology) .

So A+ for you being a jerk. :)

p.s. i'm not looking to get out of this, i was just curious because friends have told me about courts dropping cases.

Last edited:

The Occultist

You're not looking to get out of it, but you're wondering if the court will drop it. Oh do shut up.

What's gonna happen? You'll be found guilty and you'll have to pay a fine. Have fun.

CdwJava

Courts don't generally "drop" a case. The court might DISMISS it, but they do so for cause and not just because the BAC is low and the kid is an otherwise "good kid". The DA might choose to "drop" a case, however. Generally the minor can expect to receive some form of diversion. When the diversion program is completed, the charges might go away or be sealed. Diversion usually entails a fine, informal or formal probation, counseling, community service, or some other lighter form of punishment. What might happen is entirely dependent upon your state's laws.

- Carl

uranus

You're not looking to get out of it, but you're wondering if the court will drop it. Oh do shut up.

What's gonna happen? You'll be found guilty and you'll have to pay a fine. Have fun.
The only reason I asked about it was because I don't know anything about this situation and I had heard things about cases being dropped. You are really no better than Jetx so... A+ to you too, Tex. I hope you feel better about yourself :)

CdwJava, thank you for actually answering my question.

Also what should I do when the actual Court Date comes? Should I plead No Contest or guilty or what?

Last edited:

CdwJava

uranus; said:
Also what should I do when the actual Court Date comes? Should I plead No Contest or guilty or what?
That's a decision you'll have to make. If you want to pay your fine, take your medicine, and move on, then guilty is probably the way to go. If you want to challenge the cite or buy yourself more time to investigate options, you might consider 'not guilty'.

There may be other ramifications to being found guilty such as a driver's license suspension. I am not familiar with the laws in your state for MIP, so there may be some things you want to investigate first. You might qualify for a public defender if your parents make too little and this is a qualifying offense.

Some reading of the law in NE indicates that this is a class III misdemeanor punishabl eby a fine of up to $500 and/or 3 months in jail, or up to 10 days of community service. Probation conditions seem to vary.

It is doubtful you'd do custody time, but the fine and service are likely.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">